Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamjim448 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
    What to expect
    What can I expect if I have to go to court for unsecured credit card debt, that I can not pay at this time. I am 38 years old and never even had a ticket so I am very scared about the whole idea.

Thank you
    Nervous:eek:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 02:54 PM
    The other side may show up, they may not, you go in, the other side proves the debt is valid, you have chance to prove the debt is not valid or has been paid, of that you have mde some sort of payment arrangementns, or tried to pay.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Two things one ordinarily wants to keep privileged: where you work and where you bank. Try to work out a consent payment agreement with the plaintiff; offer 1/2 of what you owe at $50.00 per month, if you can afford that. But if your state allows garnishment, watch out.
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Have you been served a summons? When and if you are served, you can file an answer to the court or they get an automatic default judgment. If you get served, you will find many helpful people here as well as posts to help you if you decide to pursue it.

If it is an original creditor, you might have a tough fight and it might be better to talk settlement - if it is a debt collector, you might have a little luck fighting them in court if they don't have proof of the debt, which usually they don't have. Just do some research here and on some other credit boards - good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I expect? [ 6 Answers ]

What should I expect in midle schol?

What to expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Continuing on the same subject, paternity has been confirmed by both me and her ( being the mother). Do I still need to take a DNA test here in Montana? That is beside the point, the situation is that guardianship has been established with her aunt in a nother town. Guardianship was established...

What to expect? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys! My first prenatal appointment is this Friday and I will be 6 weeks and 3 days! Can anyone give me some insight on what to expect, what sort of questions will be asked, what will take place, blah de blah de blah. I was also wondering if they will perform a transvaginal ultrasound? ...

What To Expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Can Your Be At All The Airports If You Been Accused Of Using Some One Else Name To Get A Credit Card, And Also Use The Credit Card?

What should I expect [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming and just told my husband that I wanted to file for a divorce. We have a 14 month old son and I don't want him to get custody. My husband is an over the road truck driver and wants to buy his own big rig so I know that he is not going to get a place of his own to live in with our...

View more questions Search