Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwen41539 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
    96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice
    My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the gasket for now
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2006, 12:30 AM
    Does it like to blow a lot of smoke at start up? Gm got bars leaks to make they're gm seal tabs, which is used at factory. http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=37 Like this one...

If your wanting to get a little more out of it before you get rid of it, I'd use this http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=41, some stop leaks can stop up small passages in the system. The other solution is to actually fix it the right way... BUT you could put the stop leak in it, and trade it in or sell it.
    And yes, coolant in the oil will harm the engines bearings, its not a very good lubricant, it'll eat at the bearings, mix with the oil and sludge up.
    gwen41539 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Does it like to blow alot of smoke at start up? Gm got bars leaks to make they're gm seal tabs, which is used at factory. http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=37 Like this one....

If your wanting to get a little more out of it before you get rid of it, i'd use this http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=41, some stop leaks can stop up small passages in the system. The other solution is to actually fix it the right way..... BUT you could put the stop leak in it, and trade it in or sell it.
    And yes, coolant in the oil will harm the engines bearings, its not a very good lubricant, it'll eat at the bearings, mix with the oil and sludge up.
    OK the coolant isn't mixing with my oil it just leaking from the outside this car is in great shape all the way around except for this we are thinking about fixing it.. it doesn't smoke at all ever has no oil leaks just this small coolant leak from the head gasket so if I use the bar's and my oil and coolant do mix will the bars cause damage I know the oil and coolant will gum up but what about the bar's will it cause additioanl damage?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
    My daughter ran a Baretta that way for years, with many miles. Once in a while, she had to add more stop leak. It never got any worse before the car was in a accident.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Nope, bars leaks is pretty good, I'm not a fan of stop leak... but bars does seem to plug the leak, and to not clog the system up.
    whplsh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen41539
    my 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? will it hurt my motor? im afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do u think? so far as i can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the gasket for now
    DONOT DO THE BARS LEAK. Find a mechanic or do it yourself before the engine over heats. Trust me I have a 96 cavalier and I had my friend do it for 400 dollars and it's paid for itself!!
    rasco847 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen41539
    my 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? will it hurt my motor? im afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do u think? so far as i can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the gasket for now
    This radiator stop leak won't solve the problem u have or may not even help the problem. U can usually smell antifreeze in the oil by smelling the oil fill hole and vice versa. Best thing is to do is either start saving for the repair or try it yourself which is not quite easy especial if you don't have the right tools. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Chevy Cavalier Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the computer from the car and still be able to keep the engine running. From what I understand the ingition module will be able to fire properly (I may have been misinformed), but will the fuel injection system be able to run without the computer? ...

How to change 94 civic dx head gasket [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a step by step process for changing the head gasket on a 94 honda civic dx. I want to do it on my own!

1995 Nissan Altima-blown head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't our Altima start with a blown head gasket? We want to try to fix it ourselves, but are confused as to why it won't start? Would like to confirm my idea why before I start tearing it apart! Any ideas?

Water leaking out of shower head. [ 6 Answers ]

When I pull the diverter valve up the shower works fine, then I push it down I get a continuous stream of water out of the shower head. If I don't turn the shower on it takes about 2 minutes. For the water to get to the shower head while I am filling up the bath. Could this be a bad diverter valve?

Blown head gasket [ 0 Answers ]

I have a geo prism with a blown head gasket. Is there any way I could fix it cheap, even if I jerry-rig it? Thanks. Ian

View more questions Search