Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raquell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Credit cards in collections
    I am a married stay at home mom and have 5 credit cards in my name that I have had to let default because we couldn't afford to pay them. I had to choose between paying my credit cards or paying the mortgage, med insurance, food etc... My husband doesn't know I have these cards. I used them over the last few years to pay bills, buy food or just help in a pinch if we were low on cash. They are all in collections and a few of them I have made arrangements on but a few are threatening to sue. My name is not on our house, cars or bank account BUT we do live in Washington which is a community property state. If I get sued does it automatically affect my husband too? I am afraid he will get wages garnished or we will get a lien on our property. My husband had a judgment years ago but it just sat on his credit report. They never tried to collect. I have read and heard so many scary things about judgments and I just don't know how worried I should be. Do they always try to collect or is there a chance it may just sit on MY credit? Someone please tell me something that isn't scary. I don't want to tell my husband about this even though I know I should. We have no way to pay these off.

Worried in Washington:confused:
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 07:48 PM
    I think that yes, even though your name is not on the house deed. etc. that they can put liens, etc, against the property because you are married, as well as garnish bank accounts that your money and your spouses money both go into. Sometimes they don't collect, but with big-time credit card companies they probably will. You should get some financial advice from a personal financial adviser and talk to a debt consolidation firm, as well as getting a lawyer. If you can work out payment plans with the help of a lawyer or if you can get your debt consolidated into lower monthly payments, it may help you. Good luck.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jun 24, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Hello Raquell

First of all tell your husband about these cc. It is better for you to tell him then for him to find out from a cc company. How much do you owe? It may not be as bad as you think. You may be able to work out a payment plan BUT be sure you get in writing. Just curious how did you manage to keep this from your husband for so long?
    gdslls0727 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raquell
    I am a married stay at home mom and have 5 credit cards in my name that I have had to let default because we couldn't afford to pay them. I had to choose between paying my credit cards or paying the mortgage, med insurance, food etc.... My husband doesn't know I have these cards. I used them over the last few years to pay bills, buy food or just help in a pinch if we were low on cash. They are all in collections and a few of them I have made arrangements on but a few are threatening to sue. My name is not on our house, cars or bank account BUT we do live in Washington which is a community property state. If I get sued does it automatically affect my husband too? I am afraid he will get wages garnished or we will get a lien on our property. My husband had a judgment years ago but it just sat on his credit report. They never tried to collect. I have read and heard so many scary things about judgments and I just don't know how worried I should be. Do they always try to collect or is there a chance it may just sit on MY credit? Someone please tell me something that isn't scary. I don't want to tell my husband about this even though I know I should. We have no way to pay these off.

Worried in Washington:confused:
    I am in pretty much the same situatiuon! My husband does know now. It has been rough. I joined Debters Annonymous - that is pretty helpful. I am really worried about the lien and depleting our SMALL savings account! Any advice you get will help me too>
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
    You shoul consult with a lawyer in your state about that, I can tell you that I believe that here in Lousiana also a community property state the banks can not touch the house if you are not in the dees and your spouse didn't co-signed the credit application, that community property thing is more for divorce stuff and sucessions. I might be wrong on this one, go see a lawyer, some do free initial consultation.

Carl.-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SOL on Credit Card collections [ 3 Answers ]

What is the SOL on Credit Card debts?

Credit card debt collections [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California. I have a WaMu credit card. I have never missed a payment. I had to help my oldest son out using this credit card. I have other credit cards and have never missed a payment. The balance is over 10000.00 dollars. I have made all payments on time. Now they have raised my minimum...

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Credit Reports, and collections [ 4 Answers ]

I had a Sears card when I was in college. They reported it on my credit report in 1998. They sold off the debt to another company in 2004. This company reported the debt at this time. This extended the time it was to drop off my report. Now instead of falling off, it won't go off till 2011....

Collections charge off credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just had a baby and had a lot of problems I am not working and can't work right now I have two credit cards one is 7000 and the other is 8000 they are about to charge off, I was wondering if the creditor could take me to court and get a judgement against me? If they do are they allowed to...

View more questions Search