Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mscott998 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers)
    OK here is my situation
    I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes
    Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms on the black and two rooms on the red and one white common for both) I cannot get both GFCI breakers to work with this because of the single common
    What is the best way to correct this problem?
    I Have looked into the double pole circuit breakers but can't find them in the USA they only seem available in Canada for some reason.

Please any input would be helpful. Thank you
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
    First, lets talk about why those breakers are 30 amps. What size are the wires.

Jun 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    First, lets talk about why those breakers are 30 amps. What size are the wires.

We just purchased the home about 30 days ago and each circuit supply 2 rooms each and are approx 12 gauge wiring
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Sorry but you got to find out what size wire that is. The size is marked on the outer sheathing. The amperage of the circuit breaker used is limited by the size of the wire. Twelve (12) gauge wire must be protected by a 20 amp (or less) circuit breaker. Recepticals on those circuits would have to be rated for 30 amps should buy some chance the wire is 10 gauge. That would make the circuits unusable for normal household appliances.

Got to verify wire size (probably is 12 gauge)and get proper breakers installed (fire hazard).

Don't know why anyone would have installed 30 amp breakers. Sounds like a 20 amp circuit would be more than adequate for what you have describe.

Anything else about you electric that doesn't look right?

If you can't get to any of the cable sheathing to verify size, purchase a wire stripper. That the tool you use to strip the insulation off the end of a wire. It has different size holes to fit different size wire. Use that to measure the size of the bare end of a wire.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 06:20 AM
    If in conduit, pull an extra neutral, so each circuit has own neutral.
    Agree with the 20 Amp breaker if #12, 15 Amp if #14.

Jun 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Thank you for your help I was able to find a 20Amp 2 pole GFCI breaker of a different brand that was compatible with my box at the local electrical supply company it resolved my problem.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Have heard but not seen one, have always been able to get extra neutral as conduit is common. Only drawback is if tripped, it takes out another room with it, may not be bad?
    Hopefull the wiring was #12 or Larger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI outlets and breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement and the power going down comes off a split pole 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire. I was told I need to install a GFCI. Is it possible to install 1 in the first outlet and the other 5 in line thereafter will be protected as well or would it be better to reeplace the breaker...

What breakers would I need [ 1 Answers ]

In my rv cabin I will have a small 4.6cubit foot refrigerator, a 5.0 small freezer, a small 2.5 gallon hot water heater, a small 5000btu a/c and 2 shop lights, I will have a 50amp hook-up, which breakers would I need to handle these things with a 50amp hook-up?

GFCI breakers when circuit lacks a ground wire. [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, My home, built in the early 1950's, is wired with a 2 wire conducter lacking the ground wire. I believe it is 14 ga. My question is , would installing GFCI breakers provide protection from shock and fire, or would a more costly repair be in store? Thanks Sparky, Timashinkle

View more questions Search