Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Hampton Bay 68" Altura ceiling fan does not reverse
    New Altura ceiling fan does not reverse with remote. No pull chains since it is 20ft high ceiling. Changed settings on housing and remote but still doesn't reverse. Any ideas:confused:
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 24, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Why not extend the pull chains ? Would that not solve the problem ?

Success !
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Besides, pullchains don't control the reverse feature.

What happens when you push the reverse button on the remote? Does the remote react at all i.e. LED blink? Any click or anything from the fan housing?
    marlone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 09:41 AM
    LED does blink red but no click/sound from housing... waited for fan to come to complete stop and tried reverse, tried reverse when fan was in motion and it continued forward, changed the settings, changed wiring (for what it's worth), same issue.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I missed the point where you said it was new. Return it. It is likely the receiver that is messed up, you can order another one, but you shouldn't have to with a new fan.
    nejmania Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Had the same problem - tried everything. I thought... THEN I pushed the light dimmer switch on the remote and PRESTO! The reverse works. It made a clicking noise that made me nervous but low and behold the fan is running in the right direction (blowing down) and let me tell you, I'm glad it doesn't go any faster because it is blowing stuff around the room as is...

Hope this helps... :)
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Interesting.. . These remotes are confused.
    JD Pate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 04:06 PM
    I just installed mine and can't make it reverse either. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Did you try the light dimmer trick as above?

Also try spinning the fan in the direction you want it to go while turning the wall switch (not remote) on and off. Sometimes that tricks it.

If nothing can get it's attention, return it.
    Jimppp221 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Hi, I had the same issue and had to return the fan. What a pain! But on the plus side, I think you can just replace the bottom switch mechanism. What I should have done is just buy a new fan, replace the bottom part only (where the plastic connections are made). If that works, you save yourself a ton of time and effort and can just return the new fan and the old switch. If you try this let me know if it worked.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 09:14 PM
    The bottom switch mechanism?
    Jimppp221 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Yeah, there is a relay in the bottom of the fan that is probably the issue. I don't buy the pushing buttons on the remote, I tried that for hours. After installing the replacement fan and heard the click when reverse was engaged I think the problem is in this relay. The good news is that to replace just this part is VERY easy. Just take the bottom cap off and replace with the new one. Then you can put the old one in the box with the new fan and return it. Won't take more than 5 minutes.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
    I ask because usually the receiver is in the ceiling. But as I said previously, I've not owned this specific model.
    JShoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Turn the fan on HI and then hit the reverse button. You'll hear a click and the fan will reverse. If you want to go back to the cold weather setting turn it on HI and hit reverse again. I had to call the help line to find this out. From the number of people having this problem you would think they would have included this info in the manual.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Which is interesting as you're not supposed to reverse fans while they are running.
    krookey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
    I hope that this will help someone else with the same issue. I just bought and installed a Hampton Bay Altura 68" fan and Love the way it looks. When I installed it, it would not reverse. After reading allot of complaints about this, I decided to go buy another one and just replace the parts that I needed and then return the fan with the faulty parts.
    Here is the thing: The remote receiver with the dip switch settings ONLY controls the light and the fan speeds. It does NOT control the reverse function of the fan. There are two modules under the cover for the light kit. One has the plug wires going to it and the other has just two wires going to it. one of these modules is the one that controls the reverse.

I verified this with two different set of controls for this fan. It worked for me with both. It is too bad Hamton Bay doesn't put together a better manual.

How I got the fan to reverse:
    1. Turn the fan on low speed.
    2. hold the remote up to the fan (specifically right to the modules located under the light kit cover).
    3. Press the reverse button on the remote until the fan speeds up then hold the reverse button for a second. (You may hear the motor humming then stop humming then humming again)
    4. Let go of the reverse button. (you may hear a faint "click" from the small two wire module)

That is it. Your fan will now be turning in the opposite direction.

I hope this helps. I actually have to put a ladder up and hold the remote approx. 8 inches from the bottom of the fan to get mine to reverse, so don't be surprised if you need to get close to the fan to reverse it. Since it is only done a couple times a year, that is OK.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 08:24 PM

You Shouldn't have to go through all that, but remote fans are finnicky, and Hampton Bay are junk. Go figure.
    Sfrachiseur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 10:36 AM
    I just installed the same fan and have the same issues. Can't turn the fan off or put in to revervse. I tried the light dimmer trick - no go. Called the GP Warranty 800.283.6513, they are sending a new transitter and a new receiver to swap out. We'll see?? That's all it can be, one or the other.:D
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 01:40 PM

What light dimmer trick?
    Sfrachiseur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    What light dimmer trick?
    I though it was suggested in one of the replies above, but could not find it. It was something like press and hold the dimmer button??
    I received the new hand held transmitter and receiver. The new hand held remote transmitter solved my problem of the fan not reversing and not turning off. So I will be sending back the old defective hand held remote along with the new receiver that I did not have to install... Thank God!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay 68" altura ceiling fan runs slow [ 40 Answers ]

I just purchased a hampton bay 68" altura ceiling fan Even on high speed it turns slowly. There is a difference between speeds 1 , 2 and 3 but not much. High would be like between 1 and 2 speeds and of 50 " fan.

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Remote 52" Hampton Bay ceiling fan won't reverse [ 1 Answers ]

When I press the reverse direction button, fan actually speeds up in same direction and then goes back to original speed. I complained on their website and they quickly sent a new receiver, but it still does the same thing. Fresh batteries in the remote control didn't help. The fan has no...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan in reverse [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house with a beautiful Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is controlled by remote only (we think). The previous owners had the fan in reverse mode. How do we make in go in the right direction? We cannot find a switch anywhere so we are assuming you do it with a trick of the remote. ...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Reverse Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have one of those hampton bay fans that have palm leaves for the blades. It is s remote controlled fan, but the control has no reverse. If I buy a new remote that contains a reverse button, (as well as install the new 'controller' into the hub above the fan motor), will the fan reverse? Or...

View more questions Search