Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mariamaria45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Using ceiling paint as a primer
    I wanted to know if it is OK to use ceiling paint as a primer on my wall that was just spackled?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Nope... sorry.

A primer and ceiling paint simply are not the same thing.

I used to think a primer was not necessary as well... then I saw the difference between a wall that was primed and one that was not primed... WOW! What a difference.

The idea here is that a primer seals the wall board and the plaster or joint compound so that when paint is finally applied it will lay down on the wall without absorbing into the wall at different rates over the wall board and the plaster or joint compound. That is, you will not have spotting and odd reflections when sun hits certain spots.

Hope that helped some. Of course, others will chime in on this soon, I am sure.. so wait until you hear from them as well... but result is a better job is achieved with a primer!

Have good day... MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Ceiling Paint as Primer [ 14 Answers ]

I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.

Primer and Paint [ 3 Answers ]

I have put primer over a black wall and want to paint it orange. The problem is I put 4 coats of paint and it's not covering.I have A thick expensive paint and don't understand.I was told to put More coats until it's covered.Is this what I should do?

Correct type of exterior primer and paint? [ 3 Answers ]

We've had 3-4 estimates for exterior painting, but I have decided to do it myself. All the estimates specified (after prep work) applying one coat of oil-based primer and one coat of latex paint. Why would they use oil-based primer under latex paint? I assume the existing paint is oil-based,...

View more questions Search