Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foxes Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Water leak, rust on coil ends, UV light repair?
    Age of equipment,. 1999
    Brand (Manufacturer)... Carrier Heat Pump
    Pan: Plastic

What does it do? Leaks water from plastic pan. Gets clogged with rust and algae?

August 2007 had a water leak (from an overflowing pan/clogged drain tube).

They came out and put chlorine/algae tablets in and sold me a three year maintenance contact. At the time we noticed the galvanized sides of the v shaped coil were rusting.

I put a rag on the place where it leaks and check it from time to time. So today June 2008, rag was wet & had rust stains. I notice a bad smell in the house... It has a little mold here and there. I cleaned the area outside unit with bleach and eucalyptus essential oil.

We put the wet and dry vac on the outside and got water from it.. but it came out slow.

The repairman, blew out line with compressed gas. Said it was clogged... and put in an elbow under the raised unit where I can pour bleach once a month.

To fix it ,ore permanently:

He suggested to clean the coil ends & use titanium paint $585... or to permanently fix... for a few years spend $2,500 for a UV light bulb, too. He said new coils cost $6,000.

I read UV light thing not recommended/needed a few years back.

Questions..

1) Repair suggestion? Scotch brite & Paint? Replace? Cost estimate for new coil... and is there any benefit I.e. system efficiency?

Does Bleach really do anything? Is that the best thing to use?

THANKS>>>
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Just fix it cheap.

You will be needing a complete system sooner than later and you might as well save for the new Higher efficiency unit. 585.00 For paint. LOL I have a nice small bridge I can sell you cheap also.

Jun 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Thanks.

Guess that means don't buy the CAPS Germicidal UV system... eh.. to control the Mucor racemosus mold.
    :eek:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Guess that means don't buy the CAPS Germicidal UV system...eh..to control the Mucor racemosus mold

That is up to you. Do you have a problem with the mold??

Jun 23, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Do you have a problem with the mold?? [/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with the mold.
    Just want to clean it for the smell/health benefit

They do suggest a cleaner unit will last longer,,

On the other hand, from what I read, the UV cleaners are not effective,, unless they are close to the coil...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Something is very fishy here.

Mold ---> moisture and to a lesser extent dark.

Remove moisture.. minimal or no mold

Moisture sources:
    1. AC on in summer ---> created water
    2. Clogged drain --> creates standing water, a health hazzard
    3. Water trying to flow uphill
    4. A poorly functioning humidier. Too much water.

Which is it?

UV lamps
    They are expensive consumables. They need to be replaced often, Lime once a year.
    They kill bacteria and viruses and mold.
    What do you do with the dead carcases?
    They should flush out the drain.

Paint
    Most paint has titanium dioxide as a pigment. It's probably $5.00 paint and the rest labor. Maybe.
    I might by marine two part epoxy paint. That stuff isn't cheap.

Rust
    Iron + an electrolyte
    Electrolyte is impure water

Somebody is missing the big picture.

FIND OUT WHERE THE STANDING WATER IS COMING FROM and fix that problem.

UV bulbs is just throwing money at the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil? [ 8 Answers ]

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil A friend of mine has a water to water geothermal unit for heating his home. He wants to use this same unit for cooling the house. Looking at water to air coils the prices are quite steep compared to the standard run of the mill A-Coils. We are...

Haircolor-Light at Roots and Dark at Ends [ 2 Answers ]

I would like some valuable advice on why when I dye my hair the roots always come out way lighter than the ends. I've tried misting the ends so that they don't absorbe the color as much but this does not work. Can anyone please advise me on how to get "Even" haircolor at home? Your help will be...

Take apart faucet to repair leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Delta 2 handle kitchen faucet which I believe is a Peerless faucet. It has a long goose-neck spout and separate sprayer. How do I remove the handles. Does it take a washer, an O ring or both?

Leak in a water coil in the furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Our furnace which also heats our water was leaking out a tube on the side of the furance. The oil company turned off a valve and told us we had a pin hole leak in our water coil if the pressure got to 30 or above. Does this sound correct to you??

Rust in Water [ 1 Answers ]

I have Rust coming from all my water lines in my house. It is staining everything from the toilet tanks to the counter tops. We have tried everything to clean it with, but nothing works. I have noticed that I have galvanized nipples coming out of the walls where the shutoff connect to. I have...

View more questions Search