Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Victoria Storm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Sister refuses to allow me to buy property for same price as outside buyer
    Hello, I thank you for any help in advance. My sister and I have inherited a home. We are co-trustees and equal co-owners of the home which is fully paid for. As it is located in a lovely beach community and would be an excellent investment, I would like to fix up the property and rent it out now, and sell when the market improves. However, my sister will not put any money into the home, and she does not want to rent. She wants to sell immediately well below its potential value. Each sister would net $450,000 after all costs. I have offered to buy out her interest in the property for the EXACT net she would receive from the current offer ($450,000 cash), but she refuses to sell to me for that amount, and is insisting I pay her THOUSANDS more than the outside buyer. Her reasoning is that I am "benefiting" somehow because I will not have to pay the Realtor or closing costs that would necessarily be paid out from the sale to the other buyer, so she is "adding" 1/2 closing costs and 1/2 of the Realtor commission to the $450K net, and demanding that I pay these "costs" to HER. Our Realtor is with me on this one, as he and I will be working together fixing up the home and reselling later, so his commission is assured later. Also, this is not the first time this has happened. THREE times my sister has insisted we take offers that are below market, and each time I have offered to pay her EXACTLY the SAME net she would receive if we did take these offers. But every time she says I need to pay her thousands more, because she says it wouldn't be "fair" if I happen to get a profit if I sell in the future, or it's not "fair" if I don't have to pay "costs" . If it is not already obvious, I will mention that my sister is extremely hostile towards me, and she and her husband have publicly stated they do NOT want me to have the house (just because they know I want it). They are doing everything in their power to prevent me from buying her out. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you very much for all the answers and great advice from everybody!! I failed to mention that three weeks ago, on June 2, 2008, my sister's attorney sent a letter saying my sister WOULD accept $450,000 cash from me (which is the Same amount she'd make from the outside buyer) for her interest in the house. So although we have it in writing that she'd agree to let me buy her out, they are now asking for $12,500 more. That may not sound like much, but back in January, she said she'd accept a sale from this same buyer, resulting in a net profit for her of $424,000. I rejected the offer, but I offered to buy my sister out for the same amount that she would have net, $424,000, but she WOULD NOT accept the same amount from me. Then the same guy came up in price to result in a net for her of $437,500. Again, my sister wanted to sell to him, and I did not, but once again, I did offer her the same amount of cash, $437,500, but she still refused to take it from me. And now we're at $450,000, which she'd make if we sold to the outside buyer, and which she said she'd take - but she's changed her mind and now wants $462,500 if the cash comes from me. This is $38,500 MORE than what she originally said she'd be happy with in January from the outside buyer.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 09:27 AM
    I can relate because there is a somewhat similar situation currently going on in my family. However, in my case there are 5 siblings owning equal shares of the property!

It sounds as if you are bending over backwards to make things easier on your sister (or perhaps to just move forward) without her giving an inch. Maybe it's time for you to play hardball as well. She obviously wants money badly. Can you afford to just sit on it for now? If so, tell her that you have decided that you do not want to sell and you do not want to buy her out. After she has been paying property taxes for a few quarters on a house that she doesn't want and can't afford, maybe she will be more willing to negotiate with you.

It's a shame that it has to be so difficult. Keep us posted on how things are going.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Of course if you sold to a outside buyer those costs would have to be paid from "both sides" So of course not only would you have to pay those costs but she would also. But in the end is the realitor going to let you buy it without paying them, since this is still a "sell" and I also don't know why the closing costs would be less, since I would stll require an attorney and do the closing the same way.

But I would figure exactly how much she would get in her pocket from a outside seller and explain to her that she can accept that or you can also just refuse to accept any other offer also. Plus some costs of the home she is going to be responsible for no matter if she wants to or not.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Hello Victoria:

K. Two people can play those games. Form a corporation. Hire a lawyer to make an offer in the name of the corporation. Your participation in the sale can be concealed - until at least the closing. If you want the corporation to sell it back to you, you can have a simultaneous closing.

Or, you can just give your sister the money instead of a lawyer.

excon
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Is it possible in this case to have a friend of yours that she doesn't know put up an offer and both of you agree to sell it to the friend, then you give the half your sister would get paid to the friend to pay her and the friend just writes it over to you or something? I know that sounds complicated, but you're sister's not exactly making things easy anyway. Good luck!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 12:42 PM
    I know that this is a legal board, but how much is it worth to you to keep a good relationship with your sister? How much "additional" is she asking for? 2K, 8K, 20? That makes a difference. If you can afford the extra, it might be easiest to just give it to her, and consider it one of the costs that you are going to pay in order to realize a much larger profit by selling in a few years. Or, in simpler terms, if you can make an extra 200K in the future by paying your sister 5K now (even if she doesn't technically deserve it), do you want to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buyer stopped paying - don't want property back [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, this gets complicated. I will try to keep it as simple as possible. I have inherited this problem from my Dad, who is in his 80s and is in failing health. About 30 years ago, my father and his five siblings (living in Texas and Oklahoma) inherited property (a gas station) in Oregon from a...

Debt buyer refuses to provide information [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued by a debt buyer who claims they have bought a loan they say I defaulted on. I filed a motion to dismiss but the debt buyer's attorney has filed a motion to strike my dismissal stating that; "As a matter of law may not question either the validity of the loan assignment or the...

1st time buyer [ 2 Answers ]

I & my boyfriend are about to buy our 1st house together & as I'm out of work at the moment he is securing the mortgage, can anyone tell me what paper work I have to have my name on to make sure the house is in both our names ? I just want to keep myself right. Thanks:)

First time buyer [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what good brands of microwaves there are. I don't want to purchase one and then have it break on me a few months later.

View more questions Search