Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sariah_78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Help my crown caused my teeth to Shift!
    Hello,

I had a root canal about a year ago. I just noticed that it made my teeth shift. I thought it was too tight before but it was the second time I had it done because the first one cracked and had enough of the dentist. I didn't realize it would cause this. Does anyone know if my Dentist has any responsibility for this and how much a retainer costs. It's not a massive amount but enough to bother me a lot. Any info would be appreciated!

Sarah
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Hi, Sarah,
    I am 64 yrs old, and have any just about all teeth problems there are; now have dentures, still getting use to them after about 6 months.
    My teeth also shifted when having one pulled in the back, but I didn't like the partial fixed for me.
    When you say "had enough of the dentist", do you mean you didn't go back?
    Or, didn't go to another dentist?
    No, the dentist is liable for any of this. Anyone can sue anyone for almost anything in the US, but the chances of you winning are slim and none; but I am not a Lawyer.
    Dental costs vary from location to location. I would suggest going to a reputable dentist (not saying you didn't before), but one your neighbors or friends might suggest, and getting some Professional information.
    You might need braces; or something similar to "straighten" your teeth back to where you have your natural bite.
    I do wish you the best, and hang in there. We all live and learn.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2006, 07:11 AM
    IF you dentist used reasonable care and caution, used approved ADA methods, there there is little that can be done legally. With any medical condition, including teeth, one person does not respond as well or the same as another person, Esp if a tooth cracked it is hard to actually save that tooth, and perhaps he did all he could do not to have to pull it.

Also if you have a tooth in that bad of conditional, having had two root canals, a crown and perhaps it is cracked, it is posible that trying to align it could cuase additional damage to it. ( but only a dentist could tell you that.

But OK, you would rather have a retainer of some type in your mouth over a small gap.?

I will assume this is a tooth that shows up front, not one in the back, you merely need to go to one or two dentist and get their opinion of the situation.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 20, 2006, 09:54 AM
    The procedure you mention should not cause noticeable tooth drift or any major articulation problems. The dental technician who fashions the tooth makes sure that it fits the stone representation of your mouth in order to assure a good fit. However, once it leaves the laboratory it is the dentist's responsibility to fit it in properly which he does by grinding away material until, with your input, he is sure it fits properly. Did he ask for your input? Or did he smugly ignore your complaints about it being too tight. If he didn't ask for your input as he fitted it or ignored you complaints about a too tight fit, then you should seek another dentist since that behavior is unethical.

BTW

If you had other teeth pulled anywhere else in the mouth.the shifting might be caused by them. Also keep in mind that when teeth are pulled you begin immediately to lose jawbone. It's reabsorbed because it isn't needed anymore as a tooth anchorage location. Bone reabsorption is inevitable and is another factor that might cause teeth to drift or shift.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get Rid Of Dark Spot Caused From Pimples And Even Skin Tone [ 15 Answers ]

I‘m african american and relatively dark,I get pimples once in a while but once they gone they leave dark black spots, I want should I do ,I use clearasil but didn't fadeaway black spots.I want to fade away the black spots and have an even skin tone.I don't want a lotion that makes me so light such...

Dark spots caused by healed skin [ 6 Answers ]

I have dark skin, under, around, over and at the sides of my eyes. It was first caused by a rash which healed and left the skin darker when I was a kid. 8 years later I used a hydroquinone based product to finally get rid of it and it made everything worse causing darker skin to spread all around...

Shift Key! [ 1 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page and also in an email message I have to push the shift key the same time I click on the link. How can that be fixed so only clicking on it will open it? Thanks, Jim

Have to hold Shift key [ 2 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page, and also in an email message, I have to hold down the Shift key and Enter key at the same time. This just started a little while ago. Is there someway I can reset or change it so all I have to do is hit the Enter key again? Thanks, Jim

View more questions Search