Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
    j1 trainee business expenses and 2106 form
    Hello!

The more I research this subject the more controversial it seems to me.

J1 trainee comes to the USA for practical training for less then 12 months. Can he file 2106 and deduct expenses such as food, travel, lodging etc?

I know lots J1. Many of them filed 2106 and got all tax back. Some were questioned by IRS but often won the case.

Internet based CINTAX tax preparation software DOES NOT allow 2106. I contacted CINTAX and they told me they were told by IRS that business deductions are not in this situation allowed. I am scratching my head seriously confused and would be happy to find what determines the eligibility for business deductions for J1 trainee.

I hope someone can help!
    Greg
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Greg:

That is a curious position by the IRS. By definition, the J-1 under 12 months are temporary work assignments, which would make the cited living expenses deductible.

You may need to file the return manually if you want to make Form 2106 deductions.

Mar 18, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Hey AtlantaTaxExpert - I sent you email, it would be great if you could answer...

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2006, 11:12 PM
    Send it again. It is not in my In-Box and I do not recall reading it.

Mar 20, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Thanks! I just sent you PM instead.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Got and answered it. You may not like the answer, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expenses on H1 B [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on W2 for a consulting company. My client is willing to pay for my expenses at client place directly to me. Can I accept checks from client directly. They are paying from expense account. Is it OK to accept checks from them while you work for another company on W2 and you...

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

Form 1040nr and 2106 [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am an non-resident allien for tax purposes. Can I file together with 1040NR Also forms 2106-Employee Business Expenses and 3903-Moving expenses? Or are these form just for 1040 US citizens? Thank you HPE7777

Form 1098-E and Moving expenses [ 5 Answers ]

I received a 1098-E from U.S. Dept of Ed for my student loan. However, I know that I did not pay the interest amount indicated in box 1. In box to the box is check saying that the interest indicated on the form includes loan orifination fees and/or capitalized interest. Will this come back to me...

H1 B and expenses and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

If you are working for a consulting company on W2 and working at a client site. Can you submitt the bills directly to your client for the expenses incured at client site and get the check from the clent directly on your name? On H1 can you accept checks from anyone else other than your employer?...

View more questions Search