Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raaz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 02:04 AM
    I like to defend myself in a real life situation. I have some training in Karate (basics only :( ).. and I don't know about kuta at all. My question to eawoodball (yap I read some of your posts since I join):
    1) how kuta is different or better than other traditional arts?
    2) is it possible to learn kuta or any self defence art from video?
    3) why not you teaches?
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Kuta is a traditional martial art, just not as well known.

Kuta involves focusing upon movement as a means to develop and use more momentum when you make contact, so you transfer more of your hit to them, and that makes them be hurt more, as well as the possibility of pushing them away. If they lose balance then obviously they cannot be attacking you

When trying to learn anything, you must find a way to understand how YOU can do what the instructor is presenting. Whether book/video live presentation or whatever. Most people learn by seeing, so video is valid. But you must practice what you see, and compare what the video says will happen when you do the technique correct, to what results you get. video requires the instructor to include such 'tests' of correct technique so you can evaluate yourself. When you move with momentum you may not be the best judge of your ability to do damage, but a simple test such as making contact with a pillow dropped in mid air, will show you how much momentum can be imparted to the object, because the more momentum stays with the object the farther across the room the pillow will go, and to some extent the fastest across the room the pillow will go. A heavier feather pillow will also deform more than a foam pillow, so that you can see more of the impact effect.

I was not taught my martial arts to teach or instruct anyone but those 'i must'
    I was not given permission to open school(s). In none of the martial arts I have studied has the instructor been given permission to teach me. The instructors I have had, were instructors in martial arts but no association or group that they belonged to, has given authority to my instructors to teach me, and often if not every time the organizations denied permission for the instructors to teach me, was told to not teach me anything, or they (the instructor) would be removed from the authorized list if I was taught anything, so behind the back of the organizations I have learned martial arts.

Oct 2, 2006, 10:20 PM
    So Kuta works on "Offence is the best Defence" Principal?
    Someone criticised the fist technique of kuta... it is based on loose fist while others on tight fist. We learned in our basics that loose fist can damage your hand without paining your enemy much. Is kuta really uses loose fist technique? If yes what's the rationale?

Oct 2, 2006, 11:28 PM
    The term karate means "open fist"
    That others have gotten away from using an open fist properly shows they do not have good technique. When done properly you are less hurt by using an open fist than you are by using a closed fist. A closed fist has no room to give, either your fist or the object breaks, with an open fist you have room to give slightly, and because you stay in contact with the object longer as you hinge your fist you deliver more of the blow to the object, and feel less impact or leave less of the force inside of your hand. But you must do the technique correctly to do so. If you do it bad you can hurt yourself, if you do it right, you will hardly even feel that you made contact.

Oct 2, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Thanks
    drbillkutaman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 08:13 PM
    I haven't been on in while, I keep forgetting this thing exists. To Phil: you don't believe me? I will swear in an affadavit that everything I said is true, and I have witnesses. You are probably putting me in the same category as Woodall, and please don't do that. I am willing to show and prove anything I say. Either call me or write me- if you find what I have to offer valuable, give me the courtesy of saying so in your publication 248 765 6202 [email protected]

Dec 8, 2006, 08:31 AM
    dear dr. bill,

me swearing in an affidavit that everything I said was true will not make it more true.

it either is or is not true. It cannot be proven to be true or false, you can only present witnesses that were there that admit it happened or they don't admit it happened.

I have been trained and seen instances where only half a group of people could swear in court to a incident happening, and they were all about 15 feet away. No that was not a unusual event, just a regular thing that sometimes results in people going to court, I had nothing to do with it. Sometimes witnesses are not exact or correct about what they thought happened.

I am not in a category of 'disbelief' by anyone. Each person chooses to believe or not believe 'everything' all the time. People who choose to disbelieve gravity may try to walk off a building, and they will pay a price for that, so don't do it. But you believing or not in the truth I have told you can never change the truth. You mistake that your belief makes a difference, it does not. I am not seeking worship, or some status that someone could give me by a belief in me. I have squashed fan club(s) that people have tried to start over me before, and if people attempt to start another fan club I also will respectfully ask they do not make one. I do not need to show or prove anything, and how many times or to how many people would I show or prove it to be enough? How many cities would I need to travel to, and 'display' my abilities? How big an audience? And would they not, even if 'proved' merely think I was actually doing some kind of stage magic show, because people are often lacking in faith.

I think the person who claimed to be phil on here, might not have actually been phil, or maybe the person who posted that on a different subject was wrong. In either case if phil has been on here, I welcome whatever his attitude toward me because where I live freedom is highly valued, and if phil was never here and someone was just being bad by pretending to be phil, it is sad that someone has to hide behind someone's else's good name, because phil may be opinionated but he is respected for his interest and time spent in martial arts, and trying to help others understand that not all who claim martial arts ability or teaching status should be trusted. I agree, don't trust everyone, be careful and see for yourself who you can. Have a safe day all, rushing to judgement because you don't have proof in your hand is not always the best way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search