Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIESTACCASKME Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Can a car rental company deny local residence of rental?
    Yesterday we just landed in LAX after a vacation trip. I've booked online for a car with Deluxe Car Rental. When we showed up at their counter, they said they can not rent me a car since I have a local(southern California) address. Their new policy recently changed was for out of state residence only? Is this even legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Yes, a company may serve only those customers that they wish to.
    They can rent to people that only have credit cards, and even have special rates for certain types of customers

Jun 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Sure, it's legal - it's their company so they get to make the rules. Their website says they are not set up (their words) to service or insure local drivers.

Their website addresses LAX - appears you can be local and rent from other locations, just not at LAX.

Must be an insurance thing.
    My wife said someone else showed up later with a local address and was able to rent a car with proof of insurance. I was at Budget rentacar to rent another SUV to get home. I suspect that the rate I got was too low at $15/day for a full size rental. I even made another test today by booking another car on their website with a Pasadena address and nothing was quoted of being blocked from making reservation? Even tried looking up on their policy as they claim to have and was not able to find any such policy?

Jun 22, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    So what to you want to do? If you believe you were discriminated against report it to the CA consumer affairs dept.
    It was just a very frustrating experience from a red eye trip and whole family was tired. This may be the best way to go. Lots of little things went wrong during the trip and this was the last straw that... \

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIESTACCASKME
    My wife said someone else showed up later with a local address and was able to rent a car with proof of insurance. I was at Budget rentacar to rent another SUV to get home. I suspect that the rate I got was too low at $15/day for a full size rental. I even made another test today by booking another car on their website with a Pasadena address and nothing was quoted of being blocked from making reservation? Even tried looking up on their policy as they claim to have and was not able to find any such policy?

Directly from the Deluxe Rent A Car site - (Deluxe Rent-A-Car of LAX : Rental Policies)

"No Local Renter Policies
    Deluxe Rent A Car is an Airport Only Car Rental Company. NO LOCAL RENTALS.
    Renters must have a valid return Airline ticket in their name departing from LAX.
    Our company is not insured or set up to service the local customers.

There will be absolutely no exceptions to this policy."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 23, 2008, 06:48 AM
    So Judy found the policy. Also, their software may not be setup to detect local addresses. So it still accepts the reservation. But you have to produce a return ticket at the counter otherwise they won't give you a car. Maybe this other person had a return ticket.
    Consumeradvocat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 09:50 PM
    They can indeed choose to rent to travelers only. It may be because for insurance reasons it might be possible to lower their insurance cost because the likelihood of people stealing the vehicle or abusing the system is reduced when you have a ticket to go home somewhere.

But consider yourself lucky. This company has a bad history. When ever you question a company check the local Better Business Bureau and check out their ratings and what the complaints are. Start With Trust -- Start With BBB

Also use your favorite search engine and look for reviews and complaints on independent sites like Yelp - Deluxe Rent A Car of LAX - Westchester / LAX - Los Angeles, CA . If you found them on sites like carrentals.com ignore whatever their "Reviews" say as they are a booking agency and only post positive or made up reviews.

The DCA would probably not do anything as this does not violate the law... it's a more of a moral issue. However a complaint to the BBB @ Better Business Bureau of the Southland may affect their accreditation as business practices are in question here.

This particular company is not even allowed to pick up from the Airport and have been exploiting a loophole by using Johnny Park's shuttle. They have been illegally adding a 13.3% ACRF fee that they don't pay according to the LAWA. They have been targeting travelers online that would not be aware that they and LAX were both being "bilked" out of this thus allowing the posting of lower fares than the 10 companies actually allowed on airport property. The City Attorney is curently investigating this abuse.

Count your blessing because you could have ended up like the people on Warning : Do not trust

But the answer is yes they have the right to have the policy... And yes they should have a system in place that protects people from inadvertently booking with them who lives in L.A... its not that hard.
    cantbeat me Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    -

Aug 18, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    You disabled ratings? What a loser!
    -

Aug 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    You too are a loser as you do not stand behind your answers with facts, only referrals. And you chastish anyone who does
    -

Aug 18, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    You are the biggest loser of all & I feel for those who come for help only to see you would like money in return. Ughhhhhhhh
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Consumeradvocat
    Count your blessing because you could have ended up like the people on Warning : Do not trust .

This is a personal website - I don't believe it is appropriate here.

I have no problem with the government-sponsored sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change primary residence to rental [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a Single-Family home with my family- I am planning to relocate. The current home in California has 30yrFixed/5.5. If I rent this home with current mortgage - it is almost 100% certain that we run into negative cash flow (incl Escrow... ). We are relocating to state of Washington - I would...

Depreciation on temporary rental of personal residence [ 1 Answers ]

I rented my house out for one year while on sabbatical. I claimed depreciation for the fraction of the year in 2006 during the time the house was rented, and now need to claim the remainder of that year for the time the house was rented in 2007. The problem is that my tax preparation software,...

Tax Basis of Personal Residence Converted to Rental Property [ 2 Answers ]

I have a personal residence that is vacant. I moved out 2 1/2 years ago, renting another property. I understand that if I do not sell my property within 3 years,(having lived in the property for 2 of the last 5 years) I will not be able to take the capital gain exclusion. If I decide to rent the...

Rental Fee [ 2 Answers ]

Once upon a time (last April 2005) I looked at an apartment and thought I really liked it. (It was a September rental and we were on top of things) So my roommates and I paid the fee to hold the apartment so nobody else could rent it for the time being. 2 days later after a little more research...

View more questions Search