Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Mar 17, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Supermarionation - Supreme Puppetry!
    The work of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson in a long series of puppet shows culminating in the unforgettable "Thunderbirds" is woefully underappreciated and the skill and craftsmanship has never been surpassed.
    Arguably the figures used in "Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons" when advanced technology finally allowed head sizes to be in scale to the body are more aesthetically pleasing, but the Tracey family adventures will live on in many a man's memory for ever.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Go Thunderbirds!

orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
    I am a big fan of the original Thunderbirds! However, most of my friends don't like them at all... saying they are creepy. I don't find them creepy though; I think they are very cool. It's sad that they are so underappreciated. All that marvelous work was done before computer CGI, and I doubt anything like it will ever be done again.

I'm also a big fan of the old stop motion animation, such as the creatures in Ray Harryhausen movies (Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, etc). And I like the animation in that 60s kids show "Davey and Goliath". Has anyone seen that?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
    I also grew up on a diet of Gerry Anderson,including Fireball XL5,Stingray,Thunderbirds,Captain Scarlet,Joe 90,UFO,probably the best live-animation series which Century 21 Productions made,before Derek Meddings,the supermarionation special effects/art director "jumped ship",and joined the Bond movies,yawn,yawn.
    Anyone remember the TV 21 weekly comic,which contained such gems as Gerry Anderson's Zero X.
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Mar 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
    UFO and Space 1999 were the culmination of blending miniatures, Supermarionation and live action into a very satisfactory story arc.
    It's interesting to speculate what Century 21 would have done with even simple CGI, I feel sure that Gerry would have embraced it and made it his own.
    I indeed remember Century 21 comic, lots of fantastic strips, some by the magnificent Frank Bellamy...

I still haven't seen the live action TB film and although I have read horrific reports it would still be nice to check out that 6 wheeled Ford (FORD?? ).

Mind you, if the abortion they made of "The Avengers" is anything to go by...
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Zipper, I saw the TB movie and thought it was terrible. But I guess you will have to see it for yourself to decide. I will always be a fan of the original. I'm tired of all these remakes. And you're absolutely right, The Avengers movie was pitiful.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 19, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Here in the UK,on a kids channel (CITV),they are repeating the "new" version of Captain Scarlet.It was origionally shown last year,but because of work,I missed it.As my son is now six,I told him "dad" grew up on this.He thinks it's okey,but why can't he see any strings!! (he's seen a couple of the "original series" on dvd.)
    I guess you can't please kids today.lol.
    I believe that Gerry Anderson is considering re-making Thunderbirds for TV... news I read ages ago in the UK press.As he refused his name to be added to the awful movie,I bet if it happens,it will once again thrill a new generation of youngsters,and those not so young. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supreme Court [ 1 Answers ]

Is it time to get rid of the Supreme Court? Why or why not? What would replace it?

View more questions Search