Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Electric_man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
    !7 HP Briggs Valves
    Hello,

I have a 17HP OHV Engine on a mower, It wasn't running right after a service was done, I removed the hood and the rocker cover, the valves have .250 (YES, 1/4 of a inch) clearance. I tried to adjust them, but the rocker nuts are bottomed out not allowing me to close the gap. I looked through the parts book, it lists two different push rods, a int and exh. I removed them and they are with-in a few thou of the same length. What could cause me to lose that of adjstment? In playing with it I watched the valves while turning it over they are actuating but just turning over is very hard (thinking because of the valves being so loose the compression release it not doing anything) So, how do I get the clearance back into check? Motor has maybe 40 hours on it.
    Electric_man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric_man
    Hello,

I have a 17HP OHV Engine on a mower, It wasn't running right after a service was done, I removed the hood and the rocker cover, the valves have .250 (YES, 1/4 of a inch) clearance. I tried to adjust them, but the rocker nuts are bottomed out not allowing me to close the gap. I looked through the parts book, it lists two different push rods, a int and exh. I removed them and they are with-in a few thou of the same length. What could cause me to lose that of adjstment? In playing with it I watched the valves while turning it over they are actuating but just turning over is very hard (thinking because of the valves being so loose the compression release it not doing anything) So, how do I get the clearance back into check? Motor has maybe 40 hours on it.
    Follow up. Dis-regard this question. Who ever had this engines head off, had the rocker studs out also, they installed the guide plate upside down, making the pushrod-rocker geometry all out of whack. Making it so the adjusters bottomed out still leaving clearance. NOTE** it is marked TOP. So guess my mom won't be using that handy man for seasonal tune ups.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 05:33 AM
    That's a good call. Gee to think you said it was just serviced too. Oh well, good job, glad you found the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton [ 13 Answers ]

I would like to know who to adjust the valves on a 16.5 briggs & stratton ohv engine.

Where are the valves [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... I'll do that... not to sound stupid... but are the valves in the faucet... or somewhere else? Erica

Briggs 14.5 OHV, Valves don't move? [ 1 Answers ]

Snapper front engine with a 14.5 hp Briggs & Stratton motor. Motor died with a loud clanking. Tried to restart and noticed is sounded funny and would not start. Motor spins over, but the pistons are not moving, and of course it does not start. I removed the OHV cover and looked at the rockers while...

Adjust valves on 14.5 Briggs and Statton Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 hp OHV I/C quiet engine.

Ring gear assembly instructions for 14.5 overhead valves Briggs & Stratton [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get written instructions for the Briggs & Stratton 14.5 overhead valve ring gear assembly for a rider mower? Thanks for a quick response.

View more questions Search