Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Jun 22, 2008, 11:16 AM
    My daughter is 3 weeks old and has her days and nights mixed up
    My daughter is 3 weeks old and has her days and nights mixed up, she gets up around 2 am and stays up till 7 am strait. How can I brake that cycle? I tired everything to keep her up today and nothing has worked.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 11:27 AM
    What time was she born? M y son was born at 10PM and he's been mixed up for the last 24 years. He likes to stay up at night all night if he could. It's going to be hard to get her on the correct days and nights until she is older and can stay awake a little longer. I'd just let her keep her own schedule if possible until she's a few months older. Then try and keep her awake longer in the daytime by a 1/2 hour each day and see if that can correct her inner clock.

Jun 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    What time was she born? M y son was born at 10PM and he's been mixed up for the last 24 years. He likes to stay up at night all night if he could. It's going to be hard to get her on the correct days and nights until she is older and can stay awake a little longer. I'd just let her keep her own schedule if possible until she's a few months older. Then try and keep her awake longer in the daytime by a 1/2 hour each day and see if that can correct her inner clock.
    She was born at 1:55pm I was in hard labor all night starting at 3pm the day before after my water broke. She is a sleep again right now and its 11:30am I just hope I can try to get her stay a sleep a bit longer during the night.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 22, 2008, 12:11 PM
    My little girl had her days and nights mixed up for the first 2 weeks. It was horrible having to stay up all night, so I do feel your pain. What I did was try to get her on a schedule. I would feed her at the same time every morning (I did 6 am). From that time I would feed her every 3 hours. If she was asleep I would wake her up to feed her. There were times that she was so sleepy that she didn't want to wake up so I would put her naked body next to mine and let her sleep 15 minutes longer then try to feed her again. I am breastfeeding so she would begin to smell me and want to wake up and eat, plus with her being naked she would get cold and wake up. Keeping her on a strict feeding schedule seems to help her quickly figure out her days and nights.
    Also, I tried to distinguish between nights and days. At night she would get swaddled and sleep in her bassinet but during the day I would not swaddle her and she would be sleeping in the swing or pack and play or anywhere in the middle of the action. Also, don't let her sleep more then 20 or 30 minutes in the same place. It is impossible to keep a sleepy baby awake but if you keep them moving (for example put them in the swing, then 20 minutes later move them to the pack and play, then 20 minutes later to the bouncer, etc). They are then unable to get into a really deep sleep.
    I know things are difficult with a newborn so sleep when you can and don't worry about chores around the house things will get done eventually. Best of luck!
    There is a rainbow done the road. My daughter is 3 months old and started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. I still keep her on a strict 3 hour feeding schedule during the day though.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 22, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Yes just sleep when the baby sleeps and get up when she wakes up.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davejag
    My daughter is 3 weeks old and has her days and nights mixed up, she gets up around 2 am and stays up till 7 am strait. How can I brake that cycle? I tired everything to keep her up today and nothing has worked.
    It's perfectly normal, but not easy to get used to. Since you have been working on building your milk supply, wake her after just two hours during the day... change her diaper, tickle down her back, use a wipe or wet washcloth on her, give her a bath, etc.. If she is just out, give her a bit more time and try again. Watch for any hunger cues she gives... crying is the last one and means you missed earlier cues. Tongue thrusting, smacking lips, becoming a bit more animated, suckling on her hand, rooting when something touches her cheek or mouth, are all signs she would likely feed well.

Swaddling works well with most young babies, they are used to be held close and snug while inside you. Keep her arms down to her sides and wrap her fairly tightly... flailing arms will only cause her to wake herself up... and later she will likely resist having the constraint.

It does get easier... the first several weeks tend to be the most trying as everyone, baby included, is getting used to so many changes. Take any offers of help you get from family and friends.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Thanks guys for all the great answers,I will try all of those tips. I have noticed one thing that alarms me a bit about her she sweats so much. Her hair is socked all the time her back is socked I am not sure why, I check her temp but its fine. Should I be worried?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 12:06 PM
    How many layers of clothing are you putting on her? Any blankets at night? Many tend to overdress baby than underdress them thinking they need to be extra warm. While in the beginning they don't regulate their body temp real well, after several days you can pretty much dress them how you would be comfortable. You can always check extremeties to see if they are cool. Better to error on the side of being too cool than too warm.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 27, 2008, 05:14 PM
    When checking to see if she is hot or cold feel her back or her belly. Hands, feet, and cheeks may always seem cool to the touch. My little girl always seems to get really hot when I feed her, but I think that is just the combination of both our body temperatures together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 weeks and 5 days old [ 3 Answers ]

Can you have a miscarriage at 2 weeks and 5 days old?

My daughter has days amd nights mixed up [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 6 weeks and 4 days old. She has her days and nights mixed up. No matter what I do to try to keep her awake during the day it will not work. What can I do?

Days and nights mixed up [ 5 Answers ]

Ugh it is 6:30 pm and I just woke up. My days and nights are backwards. I'm 4months and I sleep all day and stay up all night even when I try to get it normal again I cant. The baby sleeps at night like he's supposed to I know because I don't feel any kicks but when I sleep during the day I...

I smoked about 5 hits of weed few nights ago.will it show up in like 25-27 days? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a drug test for MEPS in 25-27 days... I only took about 5 hits and I haven't smoked since February or march of this year... I need some good help please... if I don't pass this test my mom will kill me and my plans will be ruined for the next 4 years.. so someone out...

Mixed Signals from guy daughter has been seeing.what does it mean? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter met this guy about 3 weeks ago and they have really hot it off. He has been so nice to her. He calls her all the time, wants to see her everyday, texts her Good Morning Beautiful, calls her terms of endearments... such as babe, darlin, kisses and hugs her, tells her he wants her to go...

View more questions Search