Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Santa Clarita repipe - what material?
    Hi!

I'm buying a house in Santa Clarita, CA, that desperately needs to be repiped. I'm just not sure what I should repipe with. Here's what I have gleaned so far:

Galvanized is really bad. Tends to get pinhole leaks really fast in this area.

Copper is the general choice when it comes to repiping. However, Santa Clarita water is very hard, and the claim is that it reacts with the copper to cause pinhole leaks. Apparently it's not unknown for copper to fail in 3-5 years here. Countering that is a claim that soft copper fails, but hard copper is fine.

Kitek and Pex: no problem with the pipes and less damage to the walls when doing the repipe, but apparently there are some class-action lawsuits due to problems with the fittings and installation.

So, what should I be considering? Everyone claims that theirs is best, downplays the problem with their matieral, and talks about the other materials' problems.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Where I live most old houses have the hard copper piping from when they were originally built around a hundred years ago. When they do need to replace the copper they usually use PVC.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Sound like you have aggressive water out there.l I would stick with plastic for my repipe job. In the past Pex, which is the most user friendly, had connections but they've all been ironed out. CPVC is also user friendly but not as much as Pex. Good luck in whatever you use. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repipe or reline pipes? [ 28 Answers ]

I'm a lady who lives alone and knows nothing about plumbing but I've been getting estimates and it's so confusing. I will appreciate any help. My house is 24 years old with galvanized pipes. It's 1300 sq ft. with 2 baths, 1 kitchen sink, washer, and dishwasher. I've had three pin hole leaks in...

Plumbing repipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have just had my entire house repiped from copper to pex after several leaks in the house and at least one slab leak. All the shutoffs on the old coper pipe are closed, but I still would like to seal the old pipes. I was going to use 1/2" copper caps and probably put a little taro in the...

How far do you copper repipe? From floor to showerhead [ 3 Answers ]

We did a whole house copper repipe and installed a Bosch tankless. We have not been able to get consistent water temperature. It goes from very hot to very cold to hot and is unpredictable. We changed all the pipes (from main street to floor up to the second floor). We did not change the pipes...

Copper Repipe [ 4 Answers ]

I'm considering to copper repipe my home. The existing plumbing is galvanized pipe which are beginning to leak. I'm in the process of getting estimates for the job. What important questions should I ask the contractor when they're providing their estimate? Thank you.

View more questions Search