Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whateverdave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Drive not ready. Insert boot disk into drive A:
    I am currently trying to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp. I have upgraded the RAM to 256. When I reboot I get "Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:". I have gone into the BIOS and have changed the boot sequence to boot first from the hard drive then the cd rom. It still doesn't work.. I changed it to boot first from CD rom. It won't boot from CD rom. Is there some kind of 3 & 1/2 inch floppy that I can boot from? Where can I download this program?

David M
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
    FIRST THING... I would recommend you reconsider this.

Windows98 operates quite nicely on 256mb of ram.
    WindowsXP operates like a door stop on 256mb of ram. I don't recommend anything less than 1gig of memory if you want to retain your sanity at all.

Before we go any further, can you upgrade this computer to 500+mb of ram, preferably 1 gig, or not?
    whateverdave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whateverdave
    I am currently trying to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp. I have upgraded the RAM to 256. When I reboot I get "Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:". I have gone into the BIOS and have changed the boot sequence to boot first from the hard drive then the cd rom. It still doesn't work.. I changed it to boot first from CD rom. It won't boot from CD rom. Is there some kind of 3 & 1/2 inch floppy that I can boot from?? Where can I download this program??

David M
    I will have to buy more RAM. When I upgrade to 512 RAM I will try it again..
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:".

What ever process you are doing is looking for a diskette

What process are you doing to get this message
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 10:42 PM
    " I don't recommend anything less than 1gig of memory..." for a speedy WinXP install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please insert a disk into drive D: [ 4 Answers ]

Why do I keep getting 'Please insert a disk into drive D' when I've inserted the disk already and try to open my it? Will I ever be able to view the contents ever again?:mad:

Please insert disk into drive A [ 7 Answers ]

I took my computer apart and put it back together since I installed a cd burner. However I'm having issues with my floppy. At first the light was staying on because I had the cable reversed. I changed the cable and made sure pin1 was aligned with the red stripe. Win2k sees the floppy drive but...

To insert disk into the drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new 1G sony VAIO pen drive. When I click on "my computer" and see that there is a "removable disk" folder (e.g. the pen drive has been drive). But when I click on the removable drive, I was asked "Please insert a disk to the drive". I cannot format the removable either. Please...

Please insert a disk into Drive D [ 4 Answers ]

My DVD+-R/RW drives do not recognize any Disks. I have tried these drives in anoher computer and They work fine. I keep getting the "Please insert a disk into drive D:," error when I use them in this Computer. I have already tried using differnet disks. Last time I remember burning a DVD...

Please insert disk into drive A [ 4 Answers ]

I took my computer apart and put it back together since I installed a cd burner. However I'm having issues with my floppy. At first the light was staying on because I had the cable reversed. I changed the cable and made sure pin1 was aligned with the red stripe. Win2k sees the floppy drive but...

View more questions Search