Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmabeln Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Fan works light assembly does not.
    I just recently purchased a house. There is a ceiling fan in the living room. The fan works fine but the light assembly does not work for some reason. At my previous home I had a ceiling fan which I brought to my new house and installed into the dining area. I hooked it up, black to black, white to white and ground to ground. Turned on the switch, fan works great but the light won't come on. Both fan and lights have pull chains. There was was light fixture there before I installed the fan/light assembly that worked just fine. What could be the problem? :confused:
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2008, 12:06 AM
    MMAerln - It could be one of three things, #1 - It could be burnned out bulbs, try and be sure that you don't have any burned out bulbs , try them in a light socket , before working on the fan light#2 Sometimes the light switch,it self goes out,most all the time it is the light switch, they will go out on thr last time it was thaty it was pulled thought that
    You had not got a chance to see about the light and the owner .Take another look around where you last had the keys.One other thing you can check . Turn off the power to the fan- light, remove the bottom of the light fixture that is attached to the bottom of the fan. insiode you should see a small blue wire. Make sure it is hooked up to the hot wire comeing down threw the fan from the electrical box . If it checks OK then the next check ; #3.Since you already have the bottom cap down , lets try the light switch`, disconnecty it and drop down , if the switch chain is hung up AND Won't PULL OUT(.tHEN TAKE THE SWITCH ALL WAY OUT AND DOWN TO TURN LIGHT ON OR OFF ,THEN GET A NEW SWITCH & INSTALL, REMEMBER TO WRITE DOWN OF WICH WIRE GOES WHERE, TAKE THE SWITCH WITH YOU. YOU NEED TO CK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE ONE OR NOT. IF YOU CHECK, gOOD LUCK AND god bless :: F.B.E.

HaVE
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 04:18 PM
    What make are the fans?

Ceiling fans normally have a third wire that needs to be connected to power the light.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

The fan in the living room, did you install it or change the wiring at all? How is it controlled?
    Hameedmalik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 02:29 AM
    How can I answer, I have same problem. I disconected lower light assembly and connected to wall outlet, it worked perfectly. Then I went to fan assembly and check the voltage and found only 42 Volts since then I am in shock. What happened to 120 volts. Tomorrow I'll check more god knows , I don't want to be electricuted. Just pray for me.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:52 PM

Is it a remote fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light Assembly [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with a light assembly and remote control. The light bulb we had in there started to go dim and when my husband changed the bulb we noticed the new one was dim as well. :confused: Does this sound like the light assembly is bad? If so, do you know if we can...

Hampton Bay Light on a fan assembly [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay fan with a light. The fan works but the circular fluorescent light won't. We bought a new bulb: didn't fix it. We tried a new starter: didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? Jerry Ryan Gulf Breeze, Florida

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

View more questions Search