Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bmartin Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Lawnmower Help
    My lawnmower, Murray Select w/Briggs?Stratton engine, will start but will not get up to speed. It only putt-putts and kicks out a lot of smoke. Any suggestions?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Horse power rating? What's the name of the engine? (quantum, intek, classic, quattro, etc.) What color smoke? Black or white/bluish smoke?

Mar 18, 2006, 05:44 AM
    6 hp Quantum w/white smoke
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Hi,
    First thing to check out is sparkplugs. Check the gap, make sure there is no "rust" covering it. Did you drain and put in fresh gas?
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2006, 07:11 AM
    I believe I had the same problem
    There is a air filter on the right side of the mower if you stand behind and face it
    They sell replacements at home depot for like $5

Mar 18, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Thanks... I just got a Briggs & stratton maintenance kit from Lowe's... replaced air filter, spark plug, changed oil... still getting heavy smoke but is now running full speed... any suggestion re smoke?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 12:15 PM
    The air filter most likely was clogged on the old one, it's a good thing to replace them about once a year, more in dusty conditions. Don't wash or blow them out, water makes it worse, and compressed air will open the filter up more and let in more dirt (more wear)... White smoke is oil, black is a rich condition, so we are dealing with oil consumption here. One thing to check, make sure the breather tube from the breather to the carb (the cover acts as the valve spring cover on these as well, lets internal pressure out, without letting oil out) its right at the muffler. There's a tube running from it to the carb, when the breather fails, it can end up throwing oil into the carb, watch for oil spitting in the carb, or into the air filter( it'll clog the air filter as well) now, if the dipstick's upper seal, or seal at the engine is leaking, it'll cause the breather to do the same.
    rockfan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Mine has a bit of trouble running. It sounds a bit out of tune so to speak. It'll sound good then sound like it'll die then vise versa. It's a briggsnstratton. Upon startup it'll put out a bit of white smoke. Is all this normal?
    racegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
    I hit a rock and now the pull cord jammed
    robert sakell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
    I have a TECumseh 13.5.With the plug out and I try to start it.It throws gas out the cylinder an exshaust.
    robert sakell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Why is gas pouring out my cylinder an exshaust?Tecumseh 13.5

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower seems stuck [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Murray push Lawnmower. One day while mowing in especially tall grass something was hit, like a rock, and the mower immediately stopped. Now don't laugh at me cause I don't know the names of the parts. When it was attempted to restart it the cord would not move... like it was stuck. I...

2 stroke gas in my lawnmower [ 2 Answers ]

I accidentally put 2 stroke gas in my lawnmower. My neighbor cleaned it out but it still will not start. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Help with lawnmower rope [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a new lawnmower it started OK, went about 5 feet then quit. I tried to pull the rope to start it again (while holding down the handle/lever)but it appears to be "stuck" and won't pull out. What am I dong wrong??

Lawnmower trouble [ 2 Answers ]

I have a snapper lawnmower it starts up just fine but will cut off about 5 seconds later.The problem started a few cuts back the first time it quit I waited a few minutes and re started it and completed cutting my lawn now it will start and cut off after a few seconds.what can I do before taking it...

Lawnmower decision [ 1 Answers ]

Lowe's ,Home Depot, Sears,Kmart,Target and Walmart... where can I get a dependable reliable riding tractor for $900-1000

View more questions Search