Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milky Way Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Can't get rid of bug infestion - possible body lice?
    This has been going on for almost three months now is driving me absolutely crazy. I don't know what they are but everything I've read and been told makes me lean towards body lice. I don't know.

The first couple weeks I didn't pay much notice to it, and then had the bug man come investigate. They checked my bed and all that and it does not seem to be bed bugs. I can feel them crawling quickly on me when I have clothes on or am trying to sleep.

They are in ALL of my clothes and sheets and blankets. It's ridiculous. Washing and drying in the hottest cycles is NOT killing them. I tried boiling, I tried ironing... I even tried the microwave. Nothing seems to work.

From what I understand body lice do not stay on your body for the most part, but in the seams of your clothing and blankets. I've been to the health center and the emergency room... both places I was just given the permethrin cream and told that it would go away. It hasn't. I also took ivermecin just in case.

They're really hard to see/find but I caught one I found it crawling on my stomach (Jesus... ) and it is wrapped in an envelope. Where can I take it to get identified? It's small and I can't be certain of what it is with this magnifying glass.

At this point I do not know what to do. I feel like burning everything I own. Maybe somebody knows why they don't seem to be dying? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jun 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Way
    This has been going on for almost three months now is driving me absolutely crazy. I don't know what they are but everything I've read and been told makes me lean towards body lice. I don't know.

The first couple weeks I didn't pay much notice to it, and then had the bug man come investigate. They checked my bed and all that and it does not seem to be bed bugs. I can feel them crawling quickly on me when I have clothes on or am trying to sleep.

They are in ALL of my clothes and sheets and blankets. It's ridiculous. Washing and drying in the hottest cycles is NOT killing them. I tried boiling, I tried ironing... I even tried the microwave. Nothing seems to work.

From what I understand body lice do not stay on your body for the most part, but in the seams of your clothing and blankets. I've been to the health center and the emergency room... both places I was just given the permethrin cream and told that it would go away. It hasn't. I also took ivermecin just in case.

They're really hard to see/find but I caught one I found it crawling on my stomach (Jesus...) and it is wrapped in an envelope. Where can I take it to get identified? It's small and I can't be certain of what it is with this magnifying glass.

At this point I do not know what to do. I feel like burning everything I own. Maybe somebody knows why they don't seem to be dying? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    It could be chiggers. Can you tell what color it is and do you itch a lot?
    Milky Way Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
    The one that I have now is a sort of clear gray color. But I found ones a few weeks ago that were a brown or reddish color. I don't itch a lot... I mean I'm not really itchy I can just feel them crawling on me and occasionally biting.

I hadn't read about chiggers yet - I am now. Thanks for the heads up!
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jun 24, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Way
    The one that I have now is a sort of clear gray color. But I found ones a few weeks ago that were a brown or reddish color. I don't itch a lot... I mean I'm not really itchy I can just feel them crawling on me and occasionally biting.

I hadn't read about chiggers yet - I am now. Thanks for the heads up!
    When you said they were reddish... that sounds just like a chigger. If it's not chiggers the last thing I could possibly think of would be fleas.
    willow5246 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Hi, my family is dealing with possibly the same thing. Did you ever have the bug identified? I found what I believe to be body lice and took it into to the local university entemology dept. Unfortunately I don't believe they even looked under a microscope because they told me it was skin flake. I find it quite interesting that body flakes can all look identical, be long "bulb"-ish shaped, light-colored almost iridescent, be segmented and one clearly has legs. We have been dealing with this since Oct. 08. We have flea-bombed the house, been diagnosed with scabies (certainly not scabies), treated with permitherin, sprayed lice-spray everywhere, covered all our beds in plastic, bagged all our clothes except a select few that we treated with spray, wash everything everyday in hot and dry in hot dryer, shampooed our carpets, treated ourselves with a lice shampoo (also for body lice). Let me know if you found any info. I believed that for awhile we had rodent or bird mites, but it makes much more sense that it is in our clothes because if we would wear the same thing twice, like a bra, we would have bites. Also my mother stayed with us in Nov before we were really concerned with these bites and she slept in my daughters bed. When she went back to her home state she began to notice the "bites". She still has them!
    Nomad49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 12:36 AM

I have the same problem and I also can't seem to get rid of them.They are hard to see so I bought some Hot Blue Ice Analgesic Gel Rub with Menthol.I ran some water in the bathroom sink and rubbed some Hot Blue Ice on my arm and rubbed it hard a fast to create friction to make it hotter.They fell into the sink with water and I could see the lice swimming around.So I rubbed all over with Blue ice and waited five minutes and then took a shower.I put on some new PJ's and
    New sheet,pillow and pillow case.Slept like baby and had no
    Problem the next morning until I put some clothes on.They
    Will not wash out of your clothes with regular laundry detergent.Bleach will kill the lice in your white clothes so I been
    Trying to use all color bleach for colors but I don't think it's working.
    spunkymonkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
    I have the Same thing as you and have tried absolutely EVERYTHING! I keep soaking all my clothes, sheets, towels, etc. in lice poison solution from the chemist and keep putting lice/scabies treatment cream on and following all the instructions on it. I've had them for two months and they JUST WON'T DIE!! I think I'm going to go completely insane. Good luck to you...
    cassa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
    I have the same here beening going on for 4 months,I have put plastic on my lounge been to the doctor they don't believe it's body lice , what a joke they thing they live in Australia, I cry every day can't stand it washing floor with hot boiled water every day
    The same with clothes, I just feel like dying
    goodlew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
    They turn reddish brown after dining on your blood. Otherwise they are a greish color and hard to see on the skin. You need at least a 20 power loupe or magnifying glass to see them effectively
    PO_Marine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
    Same here, Nephews dog infested my place last year and have been battling ever since. Threw all my cloths and sheets away and was using Permethrin crème as well as a few ridx packages and thought I got rid of them But somehow they are back. It is insane how small these things are. Over a year and the only time I can find one is when I'm not moving at all and they start to move about and even then if I lift a sheet nothing is there. I found if I lift a sheet and then quickly rub my sheet there will be a very small soft ball but when I try to look at it it only feels like a spongy blob. I brought some to the doctor and they stated the lab could not see legs under the microscope. Nor have they been able to find any on me.

I'm pretty positive this is some type of super body lice that is smaller as well as resistant to bleach and heat (I've boiled all fabrics and it has NO effect). I shaved my body also. These things are insidious and I'm ready to burn my house down. And reading these s posts saying it only happens to dirty Homeless people makes me want to bust their ing skulls in (that would be nicer than giving them this nightmare). I've been researching this for a goddamn year.

And being a former Marine I don't quit easily. I'm about to Douche my entire house in Listerine. Where can I get a 50 gallon drum?

BTW for regional reference as I have no clue where everyone else is I am in the North east USA, Please everyone else post your locations as if this is a regional thing it may be an unknown to the Medical/extermination industry.
    sdsara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
    My neighbor and I, both, have them, too!. we're in San Diego. Have any of the people who posted earlier found a remedy yet, or still suffering?
    PO_Marine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
    I think I may have found a way to kill them in fabrics. I soaked my cloths and froze them before washing and It seems to have worked. Of course you can't fit a lazyboy in the freezer but I used a can of raid on it. So far so good. But only time will tell. And listerene does seem to work as well.
    sonyalee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Perhaps you can take the bug and condition to your Primary Care Physician for identification.
    cesare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Oh my! I am having a similar issue. This horrible thing lives in the clothes. I can feel it crawling on my skin but I can NEVER see it. It turned out the infection had started from an infested furniture on my workplace but at the beginning I didn't even had a clue such thing (what exactly?! ) existed. First I thought it was hear lice- treated it with meds. Washed all clothes on the hottest temepature and put them back in the wardrobe (huge mistake as they didn't die- now everything is infected- clothes, sheets, towels, bags, purces, scarves etc.)
    Then I realised it lived in my blankets- searched Google and thought of body lice. They say that if isolated from food source (blood) after 2 month it would die. So I did. 3 months later I tried sleeping in one of the washed, boiled and ironed sheets. First night was OK, second night-I felt again a bit of this crawling on my body, third night it was Hell- intensive crawling, itching and my hair got infected again.

I don't know what this thing is but it has infected all things made of fabric.

I once caught a mature one- it was black, long, had hard shell just like a lice only bigger. But I didn't have a second chance so I cannot carry one to be identified.
    The small onces are just very tiny black spots that when quashed between the finger nails leave a trace of black (but not blood!).

Please don't stop writing in this thread. Let's find out what the Hell it is and how we can kill it as well as share experience. Pleeeaaase...
    lama55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
    @cesare: hey I have these bugs too! I tried boiling all my clothes and sealed in plastic. Even mixed some listerene/toothpaste in my shampoo(I felt hopeless). It worked initially, the itch disappeared after treating all my clothes with hot water so I stopped my routine thinking it was totally gone but to my horror I started to itch again after a week! Im taking oral antihistamine to catch lots of rest since these bugs are keeping me awake with intense itchiness. I caught one mature one, looks like rice beetle.

Anybody please more ideas on how to combat these nasty creatures...
    babygirl66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Im having the same problem its driving me and my kids crazy. I move out got a new car and got most new things in my home and to put on our body but nothing works its starting all over again.
    My doctor and other people do not believe me what the hell I'm going to do
    peach2571 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 PM
    OMG it is a skin parasite diease called MORGELLONS DISEASE... Look it up you will see every thing is just what's happening.. balls of what look like fuzz balls white,black,blue ,red and irridesent... its all the parasite that has infected you. And its not in your head ITS REALLY FOR REAL... :(
    peach2571 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peach2571 View Post
    OMG it is a skin parasite diease called MORGELLONS DISEASE....Look it up you will see every thing is just whats happening..balls of what look like fuzz balls white,black,blue ,red and irridesent...its all the parasite that has infected you. And its not in your head ITS REALLY FOR REAL...:(
    THIS parasite is enough to drive someone insane for sure.
    Happytoknow Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Okay@cassa... This is a tiny black hard seed looking bug falling off?? I have this too. My daughter sleeps in bed with me and is not affected... No bites... I am totally being eaten alive!! Since late November tried everything topical and oral for scabies, which is different than "body louse", 2 different things and a doctor should know this but many don't know they are two very different bugs... Been to unhelpful dermatologist that suggested it was nerves but little black dots fall off on sheets and wash cloths when I treat and get a few days relief but then it's back... It's in my clothes and if I manage to put in something that is bug free for a day they eat me alive at night... My sis said she read Lysol and it does kill them but like with hot water it pisses them off first... And I have to spray everything I own everyday for 2 months, she lived in Australia and got them while traveling in China, says they are body lice!! She bathed in alcohol and sprayed for months, said washing in hot water doesn't work on clothes and she is right about spraying everything you own until they are soaked with lysol and then washing them does help considerably! The alcohol kills them!! Its only in lusol that is why listerine works!! Ethyl alcohol is better than bleach at killing microorganisms, learned this in microbiology... It works on bugs as well!! I shower everyday 2-3 times, wash everything I wear, sheets, pillow cases, everything is covered in bug covers like pillows and mattresses... I do get small bouts of relief and it is much better when I spray everything with Lysol and let it sit 10 minutes... Twice a day! Its very expensive!! Garlic doesn't help, these buggers are not affected by it! Lots of alcohol and Lysol but you have to be faithful and body lice have a very long life cycle comapared to head live and scabies... They can live thirty days off the host!! It's insane... They are almost like getting rid of bedbugs from all I have read... They live forever! They aren't exclusive to "dirty" people I am very clean! Driving me nuts! My sis said she would go six months put on something and be itching all over again! They are not bed bugs but I'm not sure these things are lice either... Doctors don't want to know and don't care... I'm guessing that they are some other species because they don't match exact descriptions of anything I have read! Oh and vinegar!! I got industrial strength vinegar used to clean... Get it at Walmart... It does help but pisses them off initially too... For best results soak in vinegar, follow with rid and then spray with lysol and personally use alcohol on your body every time you itch! I Use a steamer on my bed covers and pillows daily... They are better but if I miss a day They are worse again! It takes hours a day to spray everything... You have to spray between the mattresses and walls and floors and vaccuum and wash towels and bath mats and I have boxes of clothes everything has to be washed at once! The rid spray at Walmart also works but like Lysol ticks them off and kills adults but you have to spray everything everyday for months... It takes 2 cans a day of that! Very expensive!! These things multiply insanely fast... So miss a day and when 1 days eggs hatch your done for again! Ya got to be killing them non stop! Anyone who has new ideas or finds anything helpful please list! Thanks hope this helps someone!!
    Happytoknow Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by peach2571 View Post
    THIS parasite is enough to drive someone insane for sure.
    FYI... This is actually a psych disorder... The foundation was shut down! It's not parasites... These people believe they have a parasite but it is linked with specific psychological disorders they say now... I read up on it in medical books...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of lice? [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter has had lice for about 3 weeks now. Every couple of days I pull them all out of her hair, wash everything and vacuum the floor, with a clean bag. And Still they keep coming back. I am sure the source is at her school but they refuse to do anything, including checking other children. I...

Lice from Parakeets [ 1 Answers ]

My baby's moma is in at me about my son having head lice. I don't have lice. My other kids don't have lice. My fiancé don't have lice. I do however have parakeets. Can they have the same lice that is tranmittable to humans? Also is it true that black people don't get lice?

When dealing with longhair and Lice [ 7 Answers ]

:eek: :eek: I have a problem. I love having long hair.I just do.Okay, but then I work out and it gets sweaty, and then somehow I get lice:eek: .But then I cut it short and I don't.Right now it is short, but I want to know ANY WAYS that you know of to prevent or get rid of lice while having long...

Head lice [ 11 Answers ]

I had lice and my head itched like crazy and I felt crawling. So then my mom put mannayoise in my hair and suffacated all of them. They all came out but my head still itches... but no crawling and I don't think I have lice anymore. But the itching is my question. Am I just getting over the bites?...

Guineapig Lice - Seriousness [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I acquired a 2 and a half year old guinea pig who's sister had died. I was initially worried she had a parasite infestation and today after checking her over I can confirm she has static lice. I am obtaining some insecticidal shampoo immediately but I fear this is the reason why her...

View more questions Search