Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanskyeangle Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Lennox condenser motor replacement
    I am replacing my condenser motor. The old one had three wires Purple that went to the capacitor then the black went to one side and the orange went to the other side. The new one it has a black wire, a white wire, brown and white, brown and the ground green. I don't know which wire goes where. My central air is a lennox and I am putting in a after market motor due to being able to find the original. I can not find a wiring diagram for the motor and it didn't have one in the box. Anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am replacing my 72h7301 GE motor that is original on the lennnox with D793 after market motor.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 01:24 PM
    The motor will have a wiring diagram on the side. They all do. If not get a different motor because the label has been removed.

Jun 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    The motor will have a wiring diagram on the side. They all do. If not get a different motor because the label has been removed.

Okay I got the brown and the brown/white on the capasitor the white where the orange went, the black where the black goes. It worked and cooled down a degree then the fan shut off but it was humming. I shut it completely down so I guess I need to replace the conactor that the white and black wires pluged into.

Jun 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
    First you have to make sure you replace the capacitor for the new fan motor unless you bought a new one that matches the new motor requirements.

Second you have to make sure the capacitor is of the correct value for the new motor.

Third you have to wire the motor exactly like the diagram on the side of the motor.

Jun 21, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Bought the motor and capasitor new at the same place and same time. Had also matched both together using cross reference and wrote all info down on sheet of paper with all inf on motor and capasitor before going to the parts house. I followed the diagram that was shown on the motor. I am starting to wonder if maybe I installed the fan blades to low on the shaft it had a longer shaft then the older motor. I don't know if an 1" or two would make a difference but I think I should try to raise it first. I have the old motor and I will remeasure the distance from the motor to where the moter was attached and see if that will make a difference.

Jun 21, 2008, 10:39 PM
    That could make a difference with the load on the motor.

Jun 22, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Checked the wiring the ground wire can be hooked to the frame or is it suppose to be hooked some where else. The fan blade is now the same as the old. The motor is the same horsepower rpm amps hz 208-230 the capacitor has the same info as the old. But it shuts off after running a bit. My contactor doesn't have any info on it it seems to have been taken off or worn off how do I go to have that cross referenced it is cheaper than pying lennox parts.

Jun 22, 2008, 09:49 AM
    the capacitor has the same info as the old

The new capacitor has to have the same MFD as the new motor requires.

Is the motor turning in the corect direction? CW or CCW

I am about all out here. You seemed to have done everything you can do.

One last question is the new motor the correct RPM for the unit?

Post the complete model number for the outside unit here. We know it is a Lennox but we need the model number. I will try to look it up.

Jun 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Yes it is the mfd and it turns clock wise. The motor seems to be hot when it shuts off.
    Model# hs24-311-1p
    Serial# 5192b19659
    I put the ground wire to the wire cage is there any where else that is better

Jun 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Next door neighbor came by and said that the red wire from (c) on the capacitor should be with the black wire and i thought i had taken it from the red wire side of the contactor. I don't think he is right. What do you thik i can't afford to blow up a motor or capcitor.

Jun 22, 2008, 11:05 AM
    No mention of red wire here?

the old one had three wires Purple that went to the capacitor then the black went to one side and the orange went to the other side. the new one it has a black wire, a white wire, brown and white, brown and the ground green.

I have no idea what the original wiring was. If you follow exactly wire for wire the motor diagram you cannot go wrong. That is the way the motor manufacture says to do it. Rehash the wiring guide on the new motor to see if you have made a mistake.

Jun 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I have checked and the fan is wired right. There isn't a dagram from the capcitor to the contactor it has been taken off. He was saying the capcitor is not wired right. The brown and brown /white is hooked up to the capacitorfor the fan , then there is the middle hook up on the capcitor and it has a c must mean common it runs to the contactor and I put it over with the red wire that goes to the compressor and the white wire that goes to the fan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

Condenser fan motor replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

Condenser Fan Motor Replacement [ 9 Answers ]

I’m attempting to replace the condenser fan motor on a Trane XB1000. It originally came with a .25 hp GE motor with mounting stud that are about 3 inches apart. The only suitable replacement that specs out (type, volts, amps, rpm, etc.) is an AO Smith unit, but the mounting studs are about 3.75...

Replacement Motor Wiring for condenser unit [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Lennox HS16-461V-4P. The motor bearings died and I ordered a replacement motor. The old motor (GE) had two purple wires that went to and from the capacitor mounting in the unit. It also had orange and black wires that went to line voltage. The new motor (Emerson) only has three wires...

Rheem Condenser Fan Motor Replacement (Wrong One?) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time here. I hope someone can help me. My Rheem Home A/C compressor died 6 months before my 10-year warranty expired. I had it replaced and then about a month later my condenser fan motor died. The guy who replaced it installed a Rheem compatible but I just noticed that...

View more questions Search