Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldpresley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 09:30 PM
    93 honda accord ex timing belt alignment
    I am working on a 93 honda accord ex w/ a 4cyl single cam engine I decided to change the timing belts and water pump the car was fine before I started but while removing the bolt that holds the main pully on the timing belt broke and I can not find out how to align the crank and cam gear marks please tell me how to align the marks I am pretty sure the cam gear is aligned with the word up pointing up and the marks at 3 and 9 level with the surface of the head but have no idea if this is right for this car or where to line up the crank gear please help thanks larry
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 05:31 AM
    To set the crankshaft so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, align the groove on the teeth side of the timing belt drive pulley with the pointer on the oil pump.

After you get everything done, verify the rotor points to the No. 1 spark plug inside the distributor. Since this is an interference engine, rotate the crankshaft 4 to 6 turns counterclockwise so that the belt positions on the pulleys and so that you know the valves are not hitting the pistons.

Next time, mark the location of each pulley on the old timing belt with a white Sharpie. Transfer marks to the new timing belt and install. This makes everything less stressful and saves time.

Honda normally recommends replacing the camshaft seals on Accords, when the timing belt and water pump are replaced, because they tend to be driven harder than Civics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 accord... timing belt... you geussed it! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Accord ex. I am replacing a "broken" timiing belt. Everything is off except for harmonic balancer pulley bolt. I have heard that when a belt breaks there is more to do than simply follow the manual to install new belt. I am 95% sure the head is not damaged. My main question is:...

1992 honda accord new timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

1992 honda accord, just changed timing belt because it broke. Installed it by the book car still runs like crap. New cap and rotor,spark plugs, muffler, battery, idle air control valve. Car seems to have NO power. 0 to 60 seems like 5 minutes. Car only has 87k original miles. In addition the...

Accord EX Timing Belt [ 1 Answers ]

Eh. I got a honda accord ex 91. It's at 200,000 miles now the last time the belt was changed two years ago of 2003 and I don't know how many miles it was changed at. Do I need to change it anytime soon? Can I keep driving and be fine ?

93 Honda Accord - water pump/timing belt [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever replaced these in this car? I was hoping to get a detailed "how to" on this repair. I've worked on cars before (94 Maxima, 96 Integra, 98 Explorer) and usually I have done it through "how to's" that I have found online. Can someone send me a detailed how to on this repair,...

Honda Accord 92 timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I bought Honda Accord 92 from Carmax at 68,000 miles. It is now 102,000 miles. Is the timing belt due at this time. I am not sure if the previous owner changed the timing belt or not. Thanks Jay

View more questions Search