Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAGman1988 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 09:08 PM
    pentium b110 problems
    I took my dell pentium b110 computer and installed a fresh new copy of xp on it and when I did it basically wouldn't recognize any of the on board things on the motherboard such as the on board video so now it only goes to like 640x something resolution and won't go any higher and only goes to 16 bit color when it went to 32 bit before and went to 1200x900 res before. If anyone knows why this is happening please let me know. Plus it won't recognize the internet hardware so I can't even get online on it. It starts up and what not, just recognizes nothing... like I need a disc to install it but it didn't come with one so I have no idea. Please help.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jun 20, 2008, 09:44 PM
    There are drivers that are needed in addition to the OS, in this case WinXP. Every manufacturer of laptops/computers installs drivers (programs) that will allow the BIOS and system to recognize and use peripheral components in order to make the entire computer work.

If I were you I would call Dell, give them the serial number and have them ship you a copy of the install disk for that computer. It would be easier.

Second question, why did you have to install WinXP?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Now that you've installed a new OS, you'll have to complete the integration of the additional hardware components yourself.

This is going to take a lot of work, but it's pretty straighforward.

Here is a link to DELL's download site for your computer's missing drivers:
    Dell Dimension B110 - Drivers & Downloads

You'll need to download EVERYTHING on this page one at a time and install these drivers (run the programs you download) on your upgraded B110.

Install only 1 or 2 drivers at a time and reboot. Keep going.

To check the status, use the Device Manager to indentify if any items still need drivers, but only do this AFTER you install ALL the drivers from above:
    1. Right click on the desktop icon MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES
    2. Click on the HARDWARE TAB, click DEVICE MANAGER
    3. Open up the list of components and note any that have a yellow alert. That item still doesn't have a good driver.

Do all that and write back on your progress.

TIP: If you start by downloading the network drivers and get that going, you could get your computer on the internet and complete the rest of the downloads/installs without needing a second computer.
    JAGman1988 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 01:23 AM
    OK that was simple enough. I didn't have to download EVERYTHING like you said. I only downloaded the "driver" downloads which is all I needed. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Well, the drivers on this page are the most recent drivers for the actual hardware devices in your system. Windows WILL automatically download the most recent drivers they have in THERE database, enough to get you going, but they may not be the best drivers overall.

If I was building/refreshing a new system, like you see to have done, I would make sure to install ALL the latest drivers from the manufacturer. You insure the best performance this way.

You're right, you don't have to, but I reiterate, I would.

If I misunderstood and you DID download all the drivers, skipping only the "applications" on the same page, those apps are actually good downloads, too. Again, I would use those as well, free tools to enhance your system, can't really go wrong.

Glad things worked out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Dimension B110 Power Supply.Proprietary? [ 14 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the power supply on a Dell Dimension B110, Windows XP, purchased Feb. 2006, is proprietary or not? Background... shut computer down last Sunday night, wouldn't start back up Monday morning. You could smell the power supply, obvious it was burned. Had my tower down in my...

Trouble with my Pentium D 2.66 ghz [ 4 Answers ]

PC Crashing, I got Pentium D 2.66ghz 80gb hard disk, 512 ram (all good I mean) some months back. Now it crashes occasionally and unlike usual system crashes it doesnot restart. Monitor says no signal and computer is not restarted andi cannot turn it on with its power button. The only solution is to...

Brand new Pentium D with problems :( [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, I just received a gift of Pentium D 2.66 Ghz. I have problems running it. When I play song and copy a file from CD, song becomes very very jerky and copy process is too slow. Why is this with new computer? I am using Pentium 4 2.8 ghz, it works great Alhamdulillah but why can't the new...

Pentium 3 processor [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a laptop and I want to know update the pentium 3 processor to a faster one. It now has the Pentium 3 -M featuring Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology at 1.33GHz - 512KB Level 2 Cache integrated on die - 133MHz. But I was wondering what it would take to put a new processor in?

Pentium 4 mobile processor [ 1 Answers ]

Can a normal pentium mobile processor run on a 478 socket motherboard

View more questions Search