Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Mar 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Doxie still sick
    I know I wrote about my dog before, Nina, a 1-1/2 year old mini doxie whose been sick for 4 weeks now. Monday she went through her 2nd surgery in one week. They removed most of her salvary(sp) gland and is biopsy on her lymph node for cancer. The doctor believes that Nina will get better on a stronger antibiotic that she'll propably have to take for the next 3-6 months. The other antibiotics and steroids wasn't working for her. Her eyes look much better from the surgery. She's still very weak and her appetite is very low. Which is understandable because of the surgery and there are stitches in there. I heard that potatoes is harmful for dogs, is it? Nina is beginning to walk on her own, very slowly. I'm very anxious to get her better.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Potatoes are fine, an alternative to boiled rice in a soft diet for recovering dogs. The ultimate diet for dogs with too many other allergies is the venison and potato diets. The more different proteins a dog is exposed to when young, the harder and more expensive to work around them.

We once faced a 5 hour drive home from a clinic with 2 starving Labs on potato based soft diets. We stopped at Wendy's and bought a couple of plain baked potatoes.

I hope the vet's new plan works. Did the vet suggest the potatoes? I know other vets have for other dogs, but each case is different. What was right for my Aster and her niece at one time, may not be right for your dog now. I wouldn't change her diet unless the vet says to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Doxie [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

Ack, one more question about my doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving back into my parents house in about a month or so, and they have two dogs, a male yorkie and a female shnauzer (forgive my spelling). These two dogs are not trained at all, they are certainly the top dogs over the humans in the house, and have no obedience training whatsoever. ...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search