davidkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Pain under a crown
    I have a long established crown
    It has started to give pain
    The dentist says there may be a cracked tooth underneath
    With an infection
    He also says I would lose the tooth if he took off the crown
    Is there anything I can take to deal with a possible infection?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
    I cannot tell you if there is something you could take for the infection... I'd expect your dentist to tell you so if there was.

I had a cracked tooth similar to this and I have to tell you it was better to have it removed, at least in my case. It was prone to infection and I risked getting disease in my jawbone. I suffered through that noise for way too long. Just get it taken care of.

So id talk to your dentist... even feel free to talk to a few... but if it is getting infected and they cannot treat it id have it removed. You can get a bridge put in and it looks fine, though it costs $$.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Hi, David,
    I am 64 yrs old, and have been through just about every known crown, bridge, bad teeth, bad gums, and more fillings than an old asphalt highway!
    I now have dentures, still getting use to them.
    With that in mind, your Dentist would know a good antibotic to prescribe. These are only available with a prescription.
    He/she can X-ray the tooth, and see if it is cracked.
    I am not a Doctor, Dentist, but just a person with much experience. Sounds like you didn't have that much good tooth left, when the crown was put in place.
    Yes, infection is the number one cause of an older crowned tooth starting to hurt... been there, done that.
    If you have to have the tooth removed, you might consider a "bridge" of some type, to keep your other teeth from shifting; giving you "off bite".
    I do wish you the very best, and good luck.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 10:39 AM
    The costs might be different for you, but the tooth I had removed was about 3 from the back, top. So you couldn't really see it was gone unless I opened wide... but the cost of the bridge was somewhere around 2g.

Well that was the bad news. The good news was that I didn't need to get it replaced for a few years. The dentist said it would need to be replaced to prevent the shifting that fredg mentioned... but its not like that it had to be done immediately. This allowed us to set aside medical flex $$ through work when we could afford it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain under crown [ 7 Answers ]

About 6 months ago I had a root canal and crown put on. About a week ago that tooth started getting sore. What is the problem?

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown Lengthening 2 [ 4 Answers ]

I recently went to a periodontist for a consultation for crown lengthening, and was told that aside from cutting gum away, he will have to take some bone as well. What is the recovery prognosis for something like this? Is there a chance that I will have chronic pain / sensitivity on the 2 teeth...

Pain after crown lengthening [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had crown lengtheining done about 4 1/2 weeks ago. It was a difficult recovery but the doc said that it was healing well. I went Thursday to have the new crown put on and the Doc had difficulty getting the old crown off. Once completed, she felt that the gums were still too "unhealed and...

View more questions Search