Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2006, 08:28 AM
    ADSL Microfilter
    Now this is a really dumb question but I thought I better just check.

During the week my company rents me a flat (as I'm working offsite at the mo). They have also provided me with a phone line. Trouble is that whenever I pick up the phone and hit certain numbers, I get a "that number is not recognised" message. It's not the phone as I have tried another so I'm just about to raise it with my company to get fixed.

But then I started thinking (a dangerous pastime). I know the line is plugged into a ADSL microfilter and that's plugged into the wall. Does anyone think this microfilter could be the cause of this trouble. The property doesn't have ADSL activiated yet. I don't think it could be but I thought I should ask for some input. I'm going to report the problem anyway but I'll feel a little silly if I report it only to get back to the flat after work and find out that was the problem.
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2006, 01:46 AM
    Yeah, it wasn't the filter. Didn't think it was but you never know :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 17, 2006, 02:50 AM
    What was it then ?
    Just a normal high quality BT phone line ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2006, 03:11 AM
    Just as FYI, the microfilter filters out the frequency that the internet data travels on. If your line has DSL on it and you don't have a filter you'd hear hissing and popping and static.
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Well I'm guessing it's the BT line - I just don't know yet. There's two people that normally deal with telephone problems for the UK in this company. One of them is on holiday. The other seems to be completely ignoring my helpdesk call and email.

Luckily the other (better) person is back off holiday on Monday so hopefully I'll hear something back next week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adsl vs. Dsl [ 3 Answers ]

Are aDSL and DSL the same thing? Is aDSL(asymmetric digital subscribers line) just the full way of saying DSL or is it different?:confused:

ADSL line not functional! [ 16 Answers ]

Hi folks, I have a bit of a problem. I have activated my ADSL line but it somehow doesn't come through. My phone works perfectly on this phone jack (using a filter), so I know that is operational. I've also tried connecting the modem directly to the phone jack, with no splitter or filter, and...

View more questions Search