Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Secular Humanism
    The Council for Secular Humanism is the * leading organization for non-religious people. A not-for-profit educational association, the Council supports a wide range of activities to meet the needs of people who find meaning and value in life without looking to a god.

Secular Humanism is a way of thinking and living that aims to bring out the best in people so that all people can have the best in life. Secular humanists reject supernatural and authoritarian beliefs. They affirm that we must take responsibility for our own lives and the communities and world in which we live. Secular humanism emphasizes reason and scientific inquiry, individual freedom and responsibility, human values and compassion, and the need for tolerance and cooperation.

(Ref link : Council for Secular Humanism)

Some people here on this board claim Secular Humanism to be a religion.
    The above statement by the Council for Secular Humanism clearly state differently.

Any comments?

Note :

* The link refers to the North America's Council for Secular Humanism.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 19, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Well obviously if it was a religion it would be sacred humanism, not secular humanism. Try to avoid splitting up into sects and warring factions over this though. That would be bad for you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Hello Cred:

Of course I got a comment. Have you ever known me to keep my mouth shut?

I suppose I could be described as a secular humanist. I could also be described as just a plain old atheist. Then others might describe me as a non believing Jew. I could be any of those, or I could be none.

What I AM, is a non believer in religion. It doesn't take a group of people banned together for me to be what I am. As a matter of fact, what I am is an anathema to any organized group. In fact, the more organized a group is, the more religious is looks.

This council has books. I spells out a way of thinking that it says "brings out the best in people". It "serves the needs of non religious people". It has conferences and seminars...

In short, it walks like a church, and quacks like a church, all the while saying that it's not a church.

excon
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Cred:Of course I got a comment. Have you ever known me to keep my mouth shut?
    No, not really! Never actually! Thanks for your views!

:D

===

Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Well obviously if it was a religion it would be sacred humanism, not secular humanism.
    Thanks for your reaction!

:D
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
    This council has books. I spells out a way of thinking that it says "brings out the best in people". It "serves the needs of non religious people". It has conferences and seminars...

In short, it walks like a church, and quacks like a church, all the while saying that it's not a church.

Looky - it even wants your money like a church Council for Secular Humanism
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Hello again,

Even though THIS organization might or might not BE a church, it doesn't make secular humanisim a religion, any more than an understanding of evolution makes someone a scientist.

excon
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
    .... it doesn't make secular humanisim a religion, any more than an understanding of evolution makes someone a scientist.
    Indeed!!

"The most critical irony in dealing with Modern Humanism is the inability of its advocates to agree on whether or not this worldview is religious. Those who see it as philosophy are the Secular Humanists while those who see it as religion are Religious Humanists. This dispute has been going on since the early years of this century when the secular and religious traditions converged and brought Modern Humanism into existence."

Fred Edwords in "What Is Humanism?" (1989)

:rolleyes:
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
    In that regard, it is very "religious."

How many doctrinal issues and splits have their been in Christianity?

Council Activities Include

Championing the Rights and Beliefs of Secular Humanists
    The Council for Secular Humanism campaigns for a more secular and ethical society. It presents the case for understanding the world without reference to a god, and works to separate Church and State and defend the rights of people who do not accept religious beliefs.
    So the belief is non-belief in God. ;)

Giving a Moral and Intellectual Lead
    The Council for Secular Humanism promotes rational, human-based viewpoints on important social and ethical issues. In particular, it tackles issues where traditional religion obstructs the right to self-determination, for example, freedom of choice in sexual relationships. Reproduction, and voluntary euthanasia. The Council also promotes critical thinking about supernatural and paranormal claims. The Council conducts research, issues statements, and brings together leading thinkers for conferences and seminars.

Hmm... moral and intellectual lead... this is what you are suppose to believe and how you are to think... sounds religious to me.

Just giving you a hard time Cred
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    So the belief is non-belief in God
    Not really. It is based on the lack of objective supported evidence for the existence of god.
    The religious claims that god exists and that god is the creator has still not been objectively proved by any theist, so why should a Secular Humanist assume that to be "true"? The default is that nothing "is" until proven. No "belief" involved or required !

Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Hmm... moral and intellectual lead...this is what you are suppose to believe and how you are to think...sounds religious to me
    There is a clear difference between general belief (as in for instance moral-ethical, philosophical, and/or political views) and supra-natural claims. Only the last ones can be called religious.

ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 04:53 PM
    As a matter of fact, what I am is an anathema to any organized group. In fact, the more organized a group is, the more religious is looks.
    Yeah, it's been my experience that people in groups behave about the same no matter what the stated purpose of the group is. I think you're right. If the essence of religion is to emphasize the difference between US and THEM, most organizations would qualify.
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    If the essence of religion is to emphasize the difference between US and THEM, most organizations would qualify.
    But that is not the essence of religion.
    It guess that the true essence of religion is the inner need by most people for the feeling of security , the hope on seeing back all those who we loved and have fallen away during out lifetime, and to counter the fear for the unknown, specially for death.

Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    But that is not the essence of religion.
    It guess that the true essence of religion is the inner need by most people for the feeling of security , the hope on seeing back all those who we loved and have fallen away during out lifetime, and to counter the fear for the unknown, specially for death.

Nah, it's the need to feel special, chosen, one of the elect. Just about any organization will do. Mensa is one of the best.
    -

Jun 19, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Nah, it's the need to feel special, chosen, one of the elect. Just about any organization will do. Mensa is one of the best.
    Not true. I have been Mensa member for many years. I have no need to feel special. I feel not chosen. I feel not elected. And surely no members I know feel their Mensa membership as something religious or related to religion.

Jun 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Mensa, demensia who cares. Is there a secret handshake? How about a club tie? That will bring them in.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:39 AM
    ASPCA is always looking for members. They could use the extra money to help all the animals that they take in. They will send you a really cool sticker to put on your car.
    They make me feel real special, never make me feel stoopid or tell me I'm going to hell :eek:. You never have to attend a meeting.
    ASPCA: Register
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Mensa, demensia who cares. Is there a secret handshake? How bout a club tie? That will bring them in.
    How about Densa, for people with low IQ's? It would put the "special" in "Special Education".

Jun 20, 2008, 09:27 AM
    And since ther're more of us than there are of them, we rule!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
    I have been a Secular Humanist for about a year and a half-officially and declared. I do "belong" to Paul Kurtz's organization; he is one of my favorite human beings, I just love him.

One of the big problems of secular humanist groups is that it is very difficult to get non-god believers to agree on anything! There are always differences on issues and values because everyone thinks for him or herself. Your general summary does apply to all secular humanist, and I thank you for posting. :)

Anyway, since Secular Humanism rules out the Supernatural, it really isn't a religion. It is barely even a club or group! In AMerica, lots of Secular Humanists fly under the radar by going to church... only for business reasons, in my opinion.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
    The Council for Secular Humanism is the * leading organization for non-religious people. A not-for-profit educational association, the Council supports a wide range of activities to meet the needs of people who find meaning and value in life without looking to a god.

Secular Humanism is a way of thinking and living that aims to bring out the best in people so that all people can have the best in life. Secular humanists reject supernatural and authoritarian beliefs. They affirm that we must take responsibility for our own lives and the communities and world in which we live. Secular humanism emphasizes reason and scientific inquiry, individual freedom and responsibility, human values and compassion, and the need for tolerance and cooperation.

The above statement by the Council for Secular Humanism clearly state differently.

Any comments?

Note :

How many types of humanism are there and what makes "secular" humanism superior to the others?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:22 PM

Any comments?

Note :

The Church of Reality is a religion based on the practice of Realism, which means believing in everything that is real.
    Church of Reality

What relationship does this Church of Reality hold with the Council of Secular Humanism?
    Church of Reality

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Want to know differences between humanism religions [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I have been discussing "religions" on several boards. And I am just down right amazed at ALL the different types I knew nothing about! I have looked up a few but sometimes the net doesn't give very good details and kind of generalizes some of them so I am once again asking about something I...

The secular Messiah [ 79 Answers ]

The righteous left has a conniption fit over the alleged Bush "theocracy." The spiteful criticisms of "right-wing evangelical neocons" have been abundant on these pages. An alleged cross (or you can call it a bookcase) in a Huckabee ad stirred up all kinds of outrage. You know what, I'm more...

View more questions Search