Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattm30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Honda Accord Euro 2003 Electrical
    I am having a problem with my electrics in general. Here is what's happening:
    A. While driving (daytime) occasionally my dash lights, needles and radio lose power momentarily. General while slowing down (braking).
    B. While driving (at night) the same thing happens but the headlights go out too. I have been trying to figure it out by doing certain things (i.e. Turning on Auto climate control, front windscreen demister, winding rear windows down then up both on their own and together). By following these steps I lose electrics as described above. But the odd thing is it is intermittent. Some days it's fine, some days it goes absolutely mad.

I have a feeling it's a power drain. My dealer replaced the battery and ignition barrell a few months ago and the problem went away, however about a month and a half later they came back slowly. (meaning - it started with just the radio electrics going off (momentarily) then it moved to both the headlights and the radio and then the dash (incl. needles). I also think the alternator may have an intermittent fault. Although while parked but running it produces the correct voltages as does the new battery.

Has anyone had this problem? Or does anyone have a solution or idea as to what is causing this. It is very frustrating and dangerous but my dealer has no idea and say it will cost a small fortune to diagnose.

Please Help.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2008, 05:14 AM
    My experience is: Check the ground (- negative) cable at both ends, and it's full length... it may be broken at either connector, or somewhere in between.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Check/replace the ignition switch:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Jun 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Ignition switch was replaced in January. So the dealer said!! Do you think it may have gone fault again?

(-negative) Ground cable - Is this the one from the battery to the vehicle engine wall?

Jun 19, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm30
    Ignition switch was replaced in January. So the dealer said!!!! Do you think it may have gone fault again?

(-negative) Ground cable - Is this the one from the battery to the vehicle engine wall?

In most cases "yes". Multi-stranded cable (specially aluminium) is notorious for flexing, and breaking during use. Manufacturers continue to utilize it, because it's cheap...
    SjB77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 11:17 PM

I have the Same problem with my honda accord euro 2005, I have been told ignition switch also. I am curious as to if your problem has been fixed yet?

Jan 26, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SjB77 View Post
    I have the EXACT same problem with my honda accord euro 2005, I have been told ignition switch also. I am curious as to if your problem has been fixed yet?
    Sorry everyone my issue has been resolved. Got a thick black earth cable installed from engine to battery earth (negative) terminal. Works a treat. No problems for 8 months now.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 07:40 PM

mattm30, thanks for the update, which should help others. Periodically, I remove, clean, and apply dielectric grease to all grounds.
    Ovonel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 09:21 PM
    Thanks very much rsain2004! You saved me at least $286AUD, and maybe $2000AUD!

Feb 3, 2012, 07:38 AM
    You are welcome, all the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 honda accord v6 [ 1 Answers ]

The TCS light and the BRAKE light are on and stay on all the time. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks

2003 Honda Accord LX [ 4 Answers ]

2003 Honda Accord LX keyless entry does not work. Power windows and power locks however do work. Checked fuses and changed battery in key but still no luck. Anyone have thoughts on this issue? Thanks

Upgrade Honda Accord 1980 to Honda Accod 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Help me!! I have old Honda Accord 1980, I want to upgrade it to Honda Accord 2003 step by step. I do not much money right now. Please Help me about this, which parts one by one I must change. Thanks

2003 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My radio lights just stopped working. Cannot see any controls on the cd, radio, or air conditioner. Was wondering if any one might no what the problem might be. The radio works fine and everything else is fine, just don't have an illumination.

View more questions Search