Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dancer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Wine
    I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
    At a pinch you can use marsala or maderia in place of sherry, but NONE of these options are a replacement for brandy, as it's a spirit.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Plus why open a full bottle of wine when you can use the small amount of brandy or sherry and not worry about the rest of the bottle going bad?
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 18, 2006, 02:35 PM
    If you need just a small amount of Brandy or other liquors, go to liquor store and ask for the little tiny sampler bottles that they sell. Usually only a couple of ounces. Most popular brands make these shooters just so you'll try their product. Beats having to buy a bottle of something that you won't drink. If you think you will use Sherry again, it is relatively inexpensive and keeps forever. Great for cooking and not at all potent. Some stores sell only "cooking sherry", which has no alcohol content but really doesn't give you the flavor of real sherry. Be sure to know if you want dry or sweet as there is a difference in flavor, and never use more than the recipe calls for because it can overpower a dish. Ciao. Dave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wine and spirits [ 77 Answers ]

I feel a little bit guilty for posting in here while I am in mourning and observing shiva... but I'm having trouble sleeping again and I guess this is a bit of a distraction for me. If you're curious what I'm talking about, please read my thread under bereavement: ...

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search