Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariob36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Upstairs vs Downstairs Air Conditioning Settings
    My upstairs aircondition is set to 78 and the downstairs is set to 76 which I believe is correct. Issue is that upstairs seems much colder then 78 although the temp on the unit indicates otherwise. So my question is first, are the two degrees the appropriate settings and second, if it does seem colder upstairs (seems counter intuitive as the cold air should generally have more mass) what can I do to verify things are working correctly?

Thanks,
    Mariob
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I think I would check it with another thermometer. Our last house had a dual system and I set the upstairs at what fel comfortable. Same with the downstairs. I didn't pay attention to the variation as maybe I should have. But if the upstairs feels cool, raise the temp. We had and still use ceiling fans continually. It keeps the air circulated and I think it makes it easier on the AC unit.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    I think I would check it with another thermometer. Our last house had a dual system and I set the upstairs at what fel comfortable. Same with the downstairs. I didn't pay attention to the variation as maybe I should have. But if the upstairs feels cool, raise the temp. We had and still use ceiling fans continually. It keeps the air circulated and I think it makes it easier on the AC unit.

Good answer. Most thermostat thermometers are + or - a lot (7% for bi-metallic). Another consideration is "where are the thermostats mounted in the return air path, back to the evaporators?" Perhaps they are not "sensing" where you feel the colder draft... In many applications, stairwells and corridors are used as "return air ducts" to the air handlers. A closed door interrupts this flow, and unbalanced registers also contribute to the problem.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Ceiling fans do make it easier on the HVAC system :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

Over the weekend the water has failed to run hot upstairs but still manages to run hot downstairs. Even the shower is freezing. Does anybody know what could be causing this? Thanks

Temperature settings for upstairs and downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how would you suggest I set the 2 separate thermostats for the upstairs and downstairs. There is 1 stairway door between them and the downstairs is below ground level with a walkout door. Is it better in the winter to set the upstairs at a higher temperature than the downstairs or vice...

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not getting hot water upstairs but I am downstiars. If I switch the shower on the run the tap upstairs at the same time the water gets warm but not hot but downstairs its really hot water:confused:

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search