Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john1000smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Carrier heat pump, outdoor unit fan will not rotate and hum comes from compressor(?).
    HI,

This relates to the outside carrier heat pump unit. Symptoms are: the unit is receiving the signal to turn on from the inside thermostat. The contactor clicks closed (audible). There is a humming sound. I think in is the compressor. The large fan on the outside unit does not rotate. I do give the unit enough time for any possible delays that might be in effect. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you very much.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Check your fuses or breaker in the outside disconnect. Also check you breaker in the house panel to make sure it is on. Many times a breaker will look like it is on so turn off all the way then back to on.
    hackinsat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 06:02 PM

I had same problem. Compressor would run, outside fan would not start up.
    Problem was the startup capacitor for the compressor and fan. This is a dual capacitor in one case. Mine was leaking oil, and the 5microfarad side that starts the fan was open.

HVAC company told me he has seen "lots" of them fail this year.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:54 PM

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/377701..._Capacitor.jpg
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 07:50 PM
    This post is from 2008
    alexisgonzalez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 09:05 AM
    Inside Heat Pump Unit (Fan, Filter, coils) with Outside unit (Compressor, Capacitor, Fan). Symptoms are: the unit is receiving the signal to turn on from the inside thermostat. The contact clicks closed with an audible sound. There is a humming sound coming from the inside unit and sometimes a loud click. The compressor's large fan on the outside unit does rotate. I do give the unit enough time for any possible delays that might be in effect; sometimes the inside fan works and the unit works with the thermostat perfectly for a while then goes back to failing. I changed two of the four breakers. There is something that looks as a capacitor inside the inside unit (relay?). Where could I get parts for this to change it myself? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump compressor failure ? [ 1 Answers ]

Our heat pump started making a funny sound, like it wanted to start but would stall out. The fan was workingg though, the unit was not cov'd in ice, the pipes outside were cool to touch,the aux heat was already on, which is normal , as it has been very cold here, the heat was keeping up to what...

Heat Pump Outdoor unit makes a 'clicking' noise, what cloud be the cause? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Heat Pump system. I estimate it is 15+ years old. I had it serviced this past summer. (Reversing valve replaced & recharged). The unit has run well since. It now make a 'clicking' sound when the out-door unit is running. There is no mechanical interference that fan blades...

Carrier Unit Blowing Heat [ 7 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Carrier heat pump. Yesterday, it stopped blowing cold air and began blowing heat. With the thermostat set to cool. I had a non-carrier technician check it today, he said it was not freon that the pressure there looked fine. He mentioned that it cold be the heat strips or a...

Outdoor fan on heat pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on an outdoor carrier unit won't turn off. Turned off at thermostate, tried everything, had to turn it off at the breaker. I am thinking maybe a relay is stuck. Is this a part I can pick up and replace myself or is it a different problem all together Thanks

Heat Pump compressor fan problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1000 heat pump manuf. In 2002. Yesterday, the A/C started having a problem, I checked the units inside and out and found the compressor fan not operating. The outside unit was hot and louder than usual. I turned it off overnight and this morning turned it on to find the fan...

View more questions Search