Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marklyon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Do External Harddrives need their own operating system?
    Hi,

I am going to add an external hard drive to my computer which I intend to use primarily for recording music in a home recording studio. My computer is running Winpows XP. Do I need to copy my XP operating system onto my new external hardrive in order to run programs and record using the external drive or will my current operating system run both drives without my having to do anything beyond merely copying over my recording programs to the external drive so that I can record using the external hard drive.

Many thanks,

marklyon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
    No they don't. As long as the hard drive is using a file structure recognized by Windows (ie. NTFS or FAT32) then it should show up automatically in Windows Explorer as you plug in the external hard drive.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Windows software, e.g. the recoding programs must reside on C:\ The recordings themselves can reside on the external drive.
    marklyon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marklyon
    Hi,

I am going to add an external harddrive to my computer which I intend to use primarily for recording music in a home recording studio. My computer is running Winpows XP. Do I need to copy my XP operating system onto my new external hardrive in order to run programs and record using the external drive or will my current operating system run both drives without my having to do anything beyond merely copying over my recording programs to the external drive so that I can record using the external hard drive.

Many thanks,

marklyon
    Thanks for the answers but I am I am still a bit confused. I am hoping to be able to record using the external hard drive as my C drive is quite full and am hoping that I could put the recording programs onto the external drive, which has 250 free gigabikes of free space, which I hope would, in turn, allow my recording programs to run faster and better than they might on the C drive. Is what I am thinking impossible or am I misunderstanding the answer I have received?

Again, many thanks,

marklyon
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Windows likes to put things in c:\Program files. Let's leave it as that there MAY be issues if the programs are located on the external drive.

Programs generally load into RAM and thus having the program exist on an external drive generally doesn't buy you much. In fact it may run slower.

The external drive will probably be slower. Interfaces ranked from highest to lowest transfer rate (speed): eSATA, Firewire 800, USB2, Firewire 400. The drive RPM also has an effect too.

Since this is a recording Studio, I would suggest an eSATA drive.
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Putting the programs on the external disk shouldn't be a problem. I have done the same thing many times (I do recordings of live shows) Just make sure you don't try to run any program on the hard drive without it plugged in. ( It freezes the computer!)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2008, 05:25 AM
    I would not recommend putting the programs on the external drive. But with the programs on the local drive, you can still record to the external.
    chaitanya_10j Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Just connect the external hard drive and start recordings
    That all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External moniter . No operating system? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just need to know if it is possible to boot to an external moniter without having and operating system installed.. Thanks in advanced Jonney

Don't understand usb2 and external harddrives 0.o [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all~ I got a 80gig external hard drive usb2. I'm no expert at stuff like this... but I figured that my computer doesn't have a usb2 port, so I bought a pci card with usb2 ports and shoved it into the slots in my motherboard. Yet when I connect my external hard drive, it still says this...

Installing operating system on external drive [ 5 Answers ]

Can you please give me any help on installing Win98se on an external hard drive ? My main OS is Win XP and I can't seem to install 98se on the external drive. I can't boot up XP in DOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I have several old programs which I can't use on XP. Such as Adobe...

View more questions Search