Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Jun 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Installing harwood floor - where to start?
    We will be starting to install hardwood flooring within the next few weeks. It is a tongue and groove kind and we will be gluing them down (no it is not laminate and not a floating floor). I was looking at the floor last night and am getting a little nervous about the install. We live in a upper unit condo and are putting the wood floors in the top landing, living room, and kitchen. I know that you are not supposed to walk on the hardwood for 24 hours after gluing them down which will make things "interesting".

This is what I think we will do.

The reason that I think we should work this way is this: We are putting a piece of stair nosing on the top step. This needs to fit into the boards and can not be cut. If we work from the kitchen to the stairs, it might not come out right at the stairs.

Now since we can not walk on the hardwood and are starting by the stairs, I figure we would break up how we lay it by the days. Yes when we get to the end, we might have to cross the freshly done flooring, but hopefully only once.

Do you think this would work, or do you have any suggestions about this?
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 19, 2009, 06:27 AM

It seems like you have the right idea. However I'm not really sure why you're gluing the hardwood. I have always nailed through the tongue and have never had a problem. Not to mention you can walk on it right away.

Remember, after you install the first three rows and you get around the wall, you should "reverse the tongue" so you can backtrack towards the front (where you wrote day 1). Also, why is there a slanted line between day 2 and day 3?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 08:43 PM

I agree with logan and want to add this can't be a true 3/4 hardwood floor pre finished or not. If it is the glue is all wrong. Not only that there's paper sheeting that goes on the old floor to install the new hardwood floor. Not to re state for you but I would be nervous too since this sounds odd. Are these the pre finished 9mm or 8mm hardwood floors that all wood but skinny? Look at these sites and let us know what you have and this site will help you on the actual installation.

YouTube - How to Install Westhollow Solid Hardwood Flooring

YouTube - how to use a secret nail gun

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a floating floor over existing parquet floor [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and currently have 8" square oak parquet floors. The parquet is half an inch thick and glued down to the concrete subfloor (it is glued with a think black substance that I was told is tar). The flooring has been in the building for nearly 50 years and seems to be well intact...

Installing a tub on cement floor [ 3 Answers ]

We are trying to install a tub in the basement. Drain is already in place trying to make room for pluming of tub?

Installing Bathroom on 2nd Floor [ 3 Answers ]

We want to install a bathroom on our 2nd floor. Our house is built on a slab and we have a septic system. The bathroom we want to install would be directly over a 1/2 bath on the 1st floor. Is it possible for these two toilets to share the plumbing that goes out to the septic tank? Can you just...

Installing 2nd floor bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am working on installing a 2nd floor bathroom in my house. The bathroom will be next to the water heater (though I may replace the 50gal with a instant demand heater) so water in to the bathroom is no problem. My problem is a drain for the sink, shower and toilet. The bathroom will be about 6'...

Installing a floor transition [ 5 Answers ]

I bought Carpet Trim which came with nails at Lowe's, I'm transitioning from tiles to carpet. According to instructions I'm supposed to use the included nails to fasten the trim to the concrete floor. All nails bend as I try to drive them into the concrerte. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search