Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sockxmonkeyxwee Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
    What mexican water is safe?
    I am going to Cabo san Lucas next month, and I've been worrying... about the water.
    I know drinking water out of the tap at the hotel or whatever isn't safe, you're supposed to drink only bottled water. But what about water at restaurants?
    If they give us a glass of water at a restaurant, is it safe to drink?
    Or if I have some kind of food with water in it, that doesn't require cooking, is that safe to eat? I really don't want to end up on the toilet my entire trip so please help me! :confused:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Drink only bottled water and brush teeth with only botled water. No ice drinks. Avoid fruit that you eat the skin. Water is OK to bathe. No waiter served water. Best of luck
    sockxmonkeyxwee Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Thank you!
    rsc1117 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
    I have been to many restaurants in mexico and have never had a problem. Of course they were bigger restaurants, not small roadside eateries. I would not even think of worrying about Cabo, the tourism there is so huge, I'm sure they take every precaution.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
    When in Cabo or marlin fishing, I drink only Pacifico beer. I use bottled water to brush my teeth and rinse but don't swallow. I don't use ice in my beer, but cool it in ice buckets. I have never had any problems. The beer is purified when processed.

If you can't drink the beer, bottled water purchased at the supermercado might be best.

Avoid the sodas at Pizza Hut, etc. I think the machines are connected to the city water supply.

Also, I don't eat a lot of meat there, only well cooked. Many places will cook your fish for you for a small price. You know that's fresh.

Have fun. Don't drink too much at the Cabo Wabo or the Hard Rock.
    lexgs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Oh, my! I understand your concerns, but Mexico is not another planet. If you are going to tourist friendly areas you certainly have nothing to worry about. While I wouldn't encourage you to drink from the tap because of the taste, I wouldn't recommend you to brush your teeth with bottled water--you would just be adding to the unnecessary waste that is generally associated with American tourists. If you don't want to take any risks, don't eat food off the streets even if you'll miss out on the authentic Mexican culinary experience.

Que disfrutes tus vacaciones!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
    I visited Mexico City a few years ago and rented a car for a trip south to the mountains to see Tasco. Absolutely fantastic, the scenery in the mountains was extremely beautiful!

When I stayed in in Mexico City we stayed at the Sheridan Hotel, beautiful. However, I too had been warned about drinking the water in any form. Like an idiot, I brushed my teeth using the spigot the first night in the hotel and yes I spent the next day in bed and in the washroom...

But Mexico is a very beautiful amazing country filled with historical treasures and I would definitely love to go back. The people are among the friendliest in the world in my opinion, and I have traveled Canada, and all over Europe.
    Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Well of course I lived there for a couple years so I guess I got native, but the street vendors and the local dinners are a treat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mexican border [ 7 Answers ]

I thought this was really funny. Juan comes up to the Mexican border on his bicycle. He's got two large bags over his shoulders. The guard stops him and says, "What''s in the bags?" "Sand," answered Juan. The guard says, "We'll just see about that get off the bike." The guard takes the...

Safe people food and water [ 4 Answers ]

I know that chocolate, onions and chicken bones are bad for dogs. I hear some say garlic is good and others that say it is as bad as onions for a dog. I wanted to know which it is and what other foods are bad for dogs. Also mainly wanted to know if olive oil is safe for dogs. My dog has been...

Must a warehouse employer prvode safe drinking water in NJ? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OSHA regulation in NJ that an employer must provide safe drinking water?

Mexican marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Mexico never registered our marriage certificate w/ the county I live in California? Am I legally married in California?

View more questions Search