I would like to know the speed of dail up connection
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2008, 05:43 AM
    56 kiloBITS per second, in theory
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2008, 05:51 AM
    The phone line actually restricts you to 53 Kbps. But that would be on a good quality line. Generally the speed is somewhere in the 40s.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Or about this fast:

retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 18, 2008, 06:19 AM
    lol CB.

The theoretical maximum of 56kiloBITS, on say, a file download, would work out to be 7 kiloBYTES per second, which is what you're probably looking for.

The speed people would normally get of 40kilobits would take you to down to 5kilobytes.

Out here in the country, on our crappy phone lines, we used to get about 31.2kilobites, which is 3.9kilobits.

And for future reference,
    KiloBIT (Kb) = 1,024 bits
    KiloBYTE (kB) = 8 kilobits

So, to convert from Kb (Kilobits) to kB (Kilobytes) just divide by 8.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
    CB. I love your technical reference... priceless.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Keep in mind that your speed is also divided by your upload and download activity. Most of the time, you'll probably be able to download a file at about 2 - 3 kB.

To put that in perspective, the average DSL connection now will let you download a file at about 150kB.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speed of Internet connection [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using AOL with a download speed of up to 8Megs, I've noticed that the speed of my Internet experience is getting slower. I use a Netgear router DG834G router connected over cable to the main PC I'm only getting 1.2-2.3Megs on the speed testers, how can I chk the capabilities of my line ...

Maximum water temperature vs boiling speed [ 6 Answers ]

Maybe this belongs under Chemistry, but if water cannot get hotter than 212 degrees at sea level before boiling, why do some recipes call for faster (rolling?) boils rather than a simmering boil? Sometimes things other than water are heated/boiled, but I believe the same underlying principle...

Determining Connection Speed [ 5 Answers ]

On a program I have, I have to choose my connection speed. The choices are: 56 kbps 100 kbps 300+ kbps But my connection speed says 54.0 mbps Which one do I set it too?

Your Internet Connection Speed [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super...

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

View more questions Search