Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zsuzsix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 11:21 PM
    H1B and H4 visa holders
    Dear AtlantaTaxExpert,
    I am an H1B visa holder and my wife has H4. She is not allowed to work in Usa, her visa is a depenent one. I tried to do my tax return online and they won't let me to file her as my dependent. It says that your spouse cannot be your dependent. What is your advice?Can I get any dedactions, because I was supporting her financially last year?
    Thanks, D.K
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Zsuzsix:

The tax software is correct; you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent, nor do you want to!

What you need to do is download Form W-7, fill it in and have your wife sign it.

Then make a photocopy of her passport and get the passport notarized as a true copy (you can get this done at any bank).

Staple the W-7 and notarized passport photocopy together, then attach it to your tax return.

File your return jointly with your wife. Put your wife's name on the return, but leave the SSN blank. Print out the return, and attach the W-2s and the W-7 (with passport photocopy) to the return. Be sure you and your wife both sign the tax return.

Mail the return to the address on the W-7 instructions. The IRS will issue the ITIN, fill in the blank SSN field with your wife's ITIN, then process the return. The IRS will send you a letter with your wife's new ITIN on it.

When you get the letter, then (and only then) should you file your state income tax return jointly with your wife.

Mar 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Thank you for your help, but there is one important thing I forget to tell you. My wife already has a SSN, we came to USA on J1 visa, than we changed it to H1B(myself) and my wife got the H4. Last year we filled out state income tax return jointly. But that time she could work, now is different situation. Still should I file jointly and have 0 income for her? If the H4 visa is a dependent one(on the visa says "dependen of Kiss Dezso) why it's not the same on taxes?
    Thank you again!
    K.D.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 10:19 AM
    K.D.:

If she already has a SSN, all the better.

The fact that the H4 keeps her from working does not in any way keep her from filing jointly with you.

Get on the software, choose Married Filing Jointly, and get the return filed!

Mar 15, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Thank you so much! I thought that if I claim her as a dependent that is better, will save me some money paying less income tax. But this is it! Finally I have to realize that even if I support my wife financially, I can't get any deductions for her.That's bad!
    :mad:
    Thanks again, I am happy for this website, your are really helpful.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 09:59 PM
    K.D.

I don't think you read my post. You ARE getting deductions from your wife! If you file jointly with your wife, your personal exemption doubles (from $3,200 to $6,400) and your standard deduction doubles (from $5,000 to $10,000).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for J1 visa holders in Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi, This is my 2nd year doing research like a postdoc from chile in Massachusetts. For my maintenance I do receive fellowship payments from an international foundation. Last year I paid both federal and state taxes but now I've heard that j1 visa holders don't need to pay taxes for the first 2...

H4 Visa Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1B visa since June 2004. Before that I was on F1 visa from 2001 to 2004. I got married in May 2005 and my wife came to US on H4 visa in July 2005. She has not been working. I understand that I will have to apply with form W7 to get ITIN for my wife as she is not eligible for...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search