Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aamir Abbas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 04:41 AM
    Loss of Stock due to fire
    on December 20th a fire breaks out in the factory and destroys stocks valued at 10,000. The insurance company admits the claim for loss of stock to the value of 6,000 only, which will be paid after the year end (December 31st).
    Can anyone please help me out with the Journal Entry for this on the year end and explain the treatments of the relevant Debit and Credits in the entry as to their reporting in the financial statements??
    manik chand dey Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Insurance claim receivable a/c DR 6,000
    Loss by fire a/c DR 4,000
    To Purchase a/c 10,000

Insurance claim receivable a/c will be shown as an asset in the Balance sheet.
    Loss by fire a/c will be debited in Profit and loss a/c.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absorption Costing - Opening stock and closing stock query? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have an absorption costing query on the profit statement, here are the notes: Selling price per unit = £20 Sales for year 1 = 10,000 Production = 20,000 Production Cost Per Unit = £10 YEAR ONE

Adjusting entries for common stock and preferred stock. [ 1 Answers ]

This is a question off my problem. I am hoping that someone can help. The corporation has stocks of preferred stock with a number of shares of 400 that cost $6,000 and common stock of shares for 300 that cost $9,000. The common stock has purchases on march 30 of 25 shares for the cost of $950 and...

Loss in fire [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I just had a quick question If a company purchases a machine for $178k (useful life 6 years, $14,000 salvage value) and it's destroyed in a fire at the end of the 5th year, if the insurance company then pays $30,000 to settle the loss, what would the journal entry/entries look like? I was...

Fire loss in rental apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My brothers' apartment caught on fire due to a hot water heater, does he have any recourse? He did not have renters insurance but the total loss fire ( no loss of life or pet thank goodness) has left him with nothing.

Stock loss [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta tax expert, I bought a share from company for 55 dollars and sold for 50 dollars, Do I have to report this? Which schedule should I use? Is this capital loss? I have 1099 from the sharebroker firm.

View more questions Search