Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Artery plaque removal
    I was reading artery plaque could not be removed. They either bypass it
    Or stent it. By pushing it against the artery walls. They can slow the progression of the plaque, with medicines and Diet. But they cannot remove it.
    Angioplasty only pushes the plaque against the artery walls. And the artery soon gets occluded again. Only bypass gives you a clean artery.

There was an attempt to remove plaque by the Japanese doctors( Atherectomy)
    With a sort of a router/cutter attachment. But it proved too dangerous. The part of atherectomy that is appealing to me is the cutlery tool.
    That removes the plaque and then implements the pulverization process. Thereby
    Preventing large particles from traveling and clogging other parts of the coronary
    Artery. But its not a popular process.

Has anyone heard of any recent breakthroughs in the removal of artery?
    Plaque?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Your information was a little misleading, and can be better explained by the following:

About coronary atherectomy

Coronary atherectomy was introduced in 1993 as a way to treat patients with advanced coronary artery disease (CAD). It may be performed in conjunction with other catheter-based procedures such as balloon angioplasty and stenting.

However, the use of coronary atherectomy is declining as newer angioplasty and stent technologies improve their success rate. Today, coronary atherectomy is performed in only about 3 percent of patients who need coronary intervention. Its use is generally reserved for patients with hard, calcified plaque or unusual lesions in their arteries. In general, studies show that coronary atherectomy does not have better outcomes than the much more common balloon angioplasty, and in some cases may have worse outcomes. As a result, these procedures are generally reserved for specialized situations.

Patients who may be referred for coronary atherectomy include:

Elderly patients

Patients with calcified plaque that is not suitable for conventional angioplasty

Patients with unusually large plaque deposits

Patients who have undergone angioplasty and stenting but are still experiencing vessel closure

Patients with chronic total coronary artery occlusion, a disease characterized by severe and ongoing blockage of the coronary arteries
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Antioxidents, fish oil, eating lots of fiber are just some things you can do to try and reverse plaque
    Also use healthy oils like olive, peanut or coconut oil and avoid all bad fats.
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Sorry, nohelp, although I agree with your information as a preventative measure, for a young person, it is no good for a senior who already has heart problems from blockage of coronary arteries. Nothing can reverse plaque from arteries when it is already thoroughly entrenched.

And by the way, the procedure of atherectomy is dangerous because some of the plaque being removed can travel to the heart and create blockage resulting in a coronary incident.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Can't hurt though can it. I did that and I feel it really helped me a good bit and I am 53.
    I am sure in bad cases it can't actually reverse it but wouldn't it help some?
    At least at keeping it from getting even worse?
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Dear nohelp, I agree with you, it can't hurt to try anything but the result of this problem is a major heart attack and I hate to say it but who needs that.

Hugs
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
    They should have course do the alternative with a doctors supervision if they are that bad or taking medications.
    alisha66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 11:23 PM
    Brush with the baking soda and many health experts suggests the herbal tooth powder for Plaque removal. Plaque is made up of fat, calcium, cholesterol, and other substances found in the blood. The herbs for removing plaque in arteries provide two heart healthy benefits. Not only do they decrease the harmful low density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, but also increase beneficial high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels.
    biddiekay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
    Tickle

"And by the way, the is dangerous because some of the plaque being removed can travel to the heart and create blockage resulting in a coronary incident."

I am 67 and facing vascular surgery on both legs for blockage. My Surgeon discussed many possible procedures with me including the procedure of atherectomy . He told me the tool has a vacuum that sucks up the plaque as it is cut away. This blog is 5 years old so maybe there have been improvements made to the tool to make it less dangerous today. I hope so anyway.

biddiekay
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
    biddiekay, yes, this thread is too old and not a good idea to piggyback. Please start your own by posting this same information, so you get qualified, up to date answers in a new thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arterial Plaque [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in learning natural proven remedies for reducing/eliminating arterial plaque. I am not in any danger as I had bypass surgery 18 months ago. While I am on statins and other meds(total cholesterol=149 Ldl=70) I am looking at options for maintanence.

Carotid artery [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if a person has carotid artery disease do they experience trouble with their throat? Like your throat is closing up? Thanks, BJones

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

Carotid Artery Surgery [ 3 Answers ]

My friend had surgery for Carotid Artery 3 weeks ago and it is ozing water from the incision almost constantly. He has to use a wash cloth to keep his shirt dry. He was told this was normal. Is it?

View more questions Search