Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
    1976 Ford Motorhome Just Shut Off and Stopped.
    We just bought a very used 1976 Ford motorhome with a 460 in it. It started up fine the day we brought it home. The battery was dead, but we jumped it and it drove the 20 minute drive back to our house. We put in a battery, it was 650 cranking amps compared to the 950 cranking amps of the dead original one. We also changed the solenoid, because the original one was sticking. We fired it up and ran smooth for 20 miuntes. 2 days later (today) , we started it up and it just shut off instantly after 15-20 seconds. The positive wire was smoking and very hot. I thought, even if the possitive fried right off, it would still run, and just not charge.. but it died instantly. We haven't tried again to start it, we wanted to get a few ideas before we try something else... Thanks everyone...
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
    When you say the
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy
    "The positive wire was smoking and very hot."
    Which lead? From the battery to the solenoid... or... from the solenoid to the starter, or what?

When it "died instantly," there may have been other circuits that could be affected, also. Have someone experienced with automotive harnesses, best bet is an actual Ford tech, and have this problem diagnosed to eliminate the chance of somebody burning something up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicentennial 1776-1976 [ 16 Answers ]

My in-laws have this coin that they think is rare, so I'd like to know if it really is... The coin/ medal is larger than a quarter and is copper (?) clad... it has what appears to be the liberty bell on one side and states "United States of America- Bicentennial"... On the other side it states...

Ford trouble gong won't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Ford Van E-350 that has an intermittent problem: The seat belt / door ajar / lights left on / keys left in the ignition gong starts up as soon as the ignition key has been inserted into the ignition. Checking all the possibilities, non of the above problems is found. Yet the gong...

'91 Chev P-30 Motorhome chassis [ 1 Answers ]

The electronic odometer only shows dashes across the display. Any ideas how to fix this problem?:)

View more questions Search