Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CelticLilith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
    A koan riddle
    This is a zen/koan riddle that I am having trouble figuring out.
    If you have an ostrich stuck in a vase how do you get it out without breaking the glass or harming the ostrich?
    Any suggestions would help a lot.
    Thank you
    Namaste
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
    You know, of all the annoying things on this planet, koans are one of the worst for me.

To me I think that the koan is not supposed to be "worked out". It is to distract the mind to calm the conscious.

Now to answer the question/koan, I think the answer would be, "you just carry the vase utside" that's how you would get it out without it breaking.
    om-nick Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Teach the ostrige to be enlightened so he can rise up and see the four corners.
    Namaste
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Nov 5, 2008, 04:19 PM

Or grease the inside of the neck of the vase and turn a pride of hungry lions loose in it. The ostrich will find his way out quickly enough if properly motivated and given a little help.

No, I'm serious.

My point is that only in your imagination could an ostrich get stuck in a small-necked vase, so you are free to imagine lions or whatever you like. The imagination is the tip of the iceberg of creativity, which floats in the limitless ocean of the collective unconscious.

Blessings!
    cha0s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Put a lid on it
    smilesillyyou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 10:18 AM
    A blooming lotus flower.
    bendingleconte Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Aug 28, 2010, 08:52 AM

Teach the ostrich that he is home and he will no longer be "stuck."
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2010, 11:45 AM

There is no ostrich. There is no glass.
    matou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Take a step back and you'll see the ostrich was never in the vase
    Wsmack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Rofl I don't see what's so problematic about this, but I think it's obvious that you should just turn the vase upside down :S

, as above so below'' :P
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Re-visiting here after two years (I just got an email there was a new answer), it's obvious most here do not know what a koan is. It is decidedly NOT a riddle, and even less is it some sort of logical conundrum that one "figures out".

For those interested, start with Google. Better you find out for yourself and not someone else's definition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle me this. Someone has to know this one! [ 36 Answers ]

Okay --- I have been bet that I cannot find the answer to this riddle... I need you all's help! Here it goes: WHAT IS ALWAYS TALKING WITH NOTHING TOSAY,SILVER AND ROUND ON BOTH ENDS,AND YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT?? My first guess was -- battery --- eh, I was wrong... ...

Riddle [ 3 Answers ]

I am the highest point. I am also the intersection of two sides. Remove my first three letters, then add two to the end, and you have a state in the USA. What am I?

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That [ 8 Answers ]

You have a bucket that holds 4 gallons of water and another bucket that holds 7 gallons of water. You must go the lake and bring back exactly 5 gallons. How would this be done?

Riddle me this [ 1 Answers ]

I am the sum of all my parts, yet equal to none of them. The answer has two words and this is a number riddle

Riddle [ 1 Answers ]

Twice eight are ten of us, yet ten is just three. Seven of us are five. Can you now see? If this is not enough, I will tell you a bit more, Nineteen of us are eight, and nine is just four.

View more questions Search