Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Mar 14, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Transport hot water heater
    Could a new gas hot water heater ( still in its box) be laying on its side, I will try to bring it home from HD; I asked afew HD people and they said is need to stand upright.. thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 07:08 PM
    If you don't know, give a conservative answer? As long as it is controls side up, I don't THINK it would hurt it. Long ago, I slid a hot water heater down the basement stairs on its side. It was still working fine a few years later when we sold the house.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 07:15 PM
    I bought one a few years ago and put it in my cargo van on its side.
    I drove it home and had to take it out of the box and then lay it on the ground and slide it though a small door in the crawl space to a cellar.

No problems at all.

I have heard the warning myself to never do that, from most professionals but no one ever told me why.

Some of the home supply stores offer delivery services for a charge.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 15, 2006, 07:37 AM
    One reason I could think of for not laying it on it's side during transport is that the dip tube and anode may hit against the side of the heater, damaging the glass lining.

But, as LabMan and the good Father stated, they both transported a water heater on it's side with no apparent problems. The same holds true for my 5 year old, $1000 water heater. I transported it on it's side and it still is working fine to this day.

However, to be on the safe side, you may wish to remove both the dip tube and anode rod to minimize that issue.

And, the water heater didn't actually cost $1000, but, the whole job cost about that. It all started with my wife wanting a new sink and faucet in the kitchen. There were no shutoff's going to the sink so I had to shut off the water supply. And, of course I didn't have the correct parts so I left the water off and went to Depot. When I came back, the basement was flooded as the heater developed a leak. So, I added $400 to the $600 sink/faucet replacement as we went from a small 30 gallon to a much larger 50 gallon one.

Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search