Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mounandi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Question on state tax - NJ resident NYC job
    Hello,

I started working in NYC from JULY 2005.Before that I was in India and I am o n H1b.I reside in NJ.I rented a house in NJ on 15th August and stayed till 31st Dec,2005.

My husband came to US in July 2005 end on F1 and resides in New York state.

We are trying to fill up the return jointly.

My W2 reflects state as NY but when I am trying to file the e-return from IRS , it's showing that I have to fill up the NJ state tax.

I have already given the NY state tax. I earned around $36000 for this year.
    I did not earn anything from NJ state so what will be my income in the tax return as a NJ resident ?
    If I put $36000 as my income as a NJ resident , it's showing me I owe some money to NJ state . Do I need to fill up the NJ tax form ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Mounandi:

You do need to file a NJ tax return.

However, if you fill out the Schedule A for the New Jersey tax forms, it will allow you to claim a credit for the NY state income taxes paid. This should reduce your NJ tax liability to ZERO, and in fact you should get a small renters rebate (about $50).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Spouse resident of different state [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes, 1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?) 2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly,...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search