Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feifeibear Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Credit for Roth IRA contribution
    My spouse and I are filing tax return jointly this year. Our AGI does not exceed $50,000. And we both made contribution to Roth IRA this year, $4,000 each. However, he is a full-time student. Can we take credit for the roth ira. I know he cannot. But the question if I can take credit just for my roth ira contribution.

According to Publication 590, seems like if I am the person who is filing the joint tax return and I am not a full-time student, I can take credit for my roth ira. Am I right?

It is somewhat confusing from the Form 8880 instruction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Feifeibear:

You can contribute $4,000 for a ROTH IRA for yourself (since you are earning the money) and another $4,000 for your husband (as a sposal ROTH IRA).

On Form 8880, you can take credit for your $4,000 ROTH IRA contribution only.

Mar 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Thanks a lot! AtlantaTaxExpert

Mar 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
    I still have a follow up question, on the form 8880, do I need to leave blank of spouse's contribution?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
    Yes, leave it blank. Your husband was a student and does not qualify!

Mar 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Thank you very much
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

Charity contribution [ 4 Answers ]

I have learn so much by reading post here. I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year. I would like to know how is it firgure(formula) How much is allowed each year. Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave. Thank,I...

Roth Ira Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to open a Roth IRA 6 Month CD account. After the CD matures, how do I move the funds to another Bank if the rates are better elsewhere without triggering a taxable/penalty event? Thank you , Rich

Minimum monthly roth ira contribution? [ 1 Answers ]

For most roth ira plans, is there a minimum amount of $$ I need to contribute per month? Or can I put in as little each month as I want?

401K Contribution Timing [ 2 Answers ]

I have an employer who has been deducting my 401K contributions from each paycheck since March of this year. None of these deductions are showing up in my 401K account on the third party administrators website and they don't know anything. I've trolled the IRS website, but have not been able to...

View more questions Search