Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Bankruptcy and credit unions
    I have a unsecured loan at a credit union. I was told to close it out and open an account somewhere else. If I open an account at a different credit union.. can the credit union for the account I closed still get the payments for the unsecured loan that I have. My old credit union is a shared branch but my new one is not, yet.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 01:26 PM
    An unsecured loan is an unsecured loan. Don't bother moving money around. It will look like you are playing favorites to the Bankruptcy Judge.

Besides, do you really think that you will be able to go to another Credit Union and borrow money to pay a loan then bankrupt the new loan. No judge in the world will let that slip by!

Jun 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I wasn't going to move money around.. I just wanted to make sure I could go to another credit union and not worry about the new credit union trying to collect on the loan with the old credit union. I am not planning on obtaining any other debt... for a long time.. If I never see another credit card, it will be too soon!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Goldie,

I echo your feelings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Once the bankruptcy is filed and final, you can open a new account at the same credit union ( if they will let you) since once it is included in the bankruptcy they can not take the money from a new account, esp after the bankrutpcy is final.

Jun 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
    But.. before the bankruptcy is filed.. and we stop putting money in the checking account that they usually take it from.. can they try to take if from my new account at a different credit union?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit counseling before bankruptcy? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I went to a credit counseling place in September 2007 and they basically told us that we would be better off filing for bankruptcy. When we went to file, we could not afford the fee they wanted to charge us, so we never did. Our financial situation has not really improved, and I was...

Bankruptcy & Credit [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first time on your site and I am fasinated with the questions and answers too. My question is " I am soon going to court for a judgment hearing on a credit cardi in the state of MD. My entire income is Social Security. If this money is in the bank can it be touched and if so how. I...

Bankruptcy off your credit report [ 2 Answers ]

This is a wonderful site. I was reading another persons question regarding removing bankruptcy off your record takes about ten years. I am curious if bankruptcy is taken off your record after ten years are you obligated to report that you have had a bankruptcy after it is taken out your record? I...

Credit reporting after bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

A few years ago in 2003 my now husband filed chapter 7 and had some debt discharged. (This was before I knew him) The problem is that those debts are still being reported on his credit report. Can they do that? If not, what can we do about it? The situation has his credit in a place where it is...

View more questions Search