Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 14, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Shared Data T1 vs. Full T1
    What is the difference between a shared data T1 line and a full T1 line? I know that The shared data T1 is usually run to an MTU (multi-tenant unit) and split up into separate data networks for tenants that choose to use the Internet service. But isn't that the same thing as a full T1, can't you share data ona full T1? :confused:IS this the same thing as a shared data T1? A channelized T1 contains 24 individual channels, each capable of carrying voice or data. The full set of channels has the same speed as a full T1, but the individual channels may be split into voice lines or data lines using a device called a Channel Service Unit/Data Service Unit or CSU/DSU. The CSU/DSU is used to split off the voice channels from the data channels, allowing the voice channels to be connected to a phone system or PBX. The data lines are then connected to a router serial interface and often are used to provide Internet connectivity?? SO is the difference really that a full T1 you can't split the channels but a shared data T1 you can?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2006, 11:49 AM
    I think, and I expect Casey will be along soon to confirm, That a split or fractionated T1, also splits the bandwidth. So the result is the user gets a slower connection.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 11:58 AM
    http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/...T1/index.shtml

Mar 14, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Yup,that's where I found that definition of a "channelized T1" but I think I understand now, a Shared T1 at my company: For example, we have a building that has a law firm, a land developer, and about 9 businesses through wireless connections all sharing a T1. They all have their own IP address space and cannot see the others data. Shared is an option in areas where they can't afford a full T1 but they still want/need high quality service.
    I got an answer on this from our own IT dept.
    Thanks though for your help :o)
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
    :) NeedKarma's link is a perfect explanation.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Hehe :)

Scott you're correct. One thing to note also is that any of them (Full T1, Fractional T1, Channelized T1, etc) can be shared. By shared most people assume different organizations. If it is dedicated to one's own company then of course it is shared by the users of one's company. Also, once your packets make it across the T1 be it a Full, Fractional, etc then everything is shared. True dedicated bandwidth to the "Internet" doesn't exist (except perhaps to the first hop :)). What matters is how well your ISP is connected to other ISP's. You could have a T3 (45Mbps) but if your ISP is only connected via a bunch of T1's to other ISP's then you're not really getting the most of your T3 connection.

Hope that helps.

Casey
    (Sometimes I miss my ISP days :()
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Casey,
    Very good point about the bandwidth only being dedicated for the first hop. I love DSL carriers that advertise specific speeds. Of course that's only between the modem and the CO. Once past the CO, the packets contend with all the other traffic on the Net.

Mar 15, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Yes, it does help, thanks for the info Casey and Scott!! :) :) :)
    Luckily the isp I work for has great connections so bandwidth on our end is not a problem, but I know what you mean about isp's advertising, it can be very misleading!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Shared video memory [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop says that I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics 64 MB shared video memory. What does this mean and do? And what is better and best? Thanks

View more questions Search