Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Work or stay home?
    I don't have a family yet, or even a husband, so don't laugh too hard, but I am considering becoming a teacher so that down the line I will be able to stay home with my future kids. I guess I never really thought I was the "teacher type" - I work in business now. However, it seems like it is very important to be involved with your children if you have the option to be (I know not everyone has this luxury. Maybe I won't either; but just trying to learn more from the parents' point of view!).

So my question is... if you personally could plan ahead and go back to teach, do you think it would be the "best of both worlds" income-wise and time-wise for a family? Or is it better to take a few years off from corporate America and then go back once the kids are in school? Obviously, child care becomes a factor at that point as well. I guess I am really interested your perspectives. What do YOU see as the real pros and cons of the different options out there? Somehow, I just don't trust the media to get it right! :-) Help a girl out so she can make some good future choices! Thanks in advance.:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
    When my kids were little I always thought the ideal job for me would be to work in a school cafeteria but I never got to work. Now they are all grown and out of the house and I am working in a college cafeteria. Even though I don't have kids I love having the summer off.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Ohhh, I like this question! As you said, there are pros and cons of working outside the home or working inside the home (and don't let anyone tell you stay at home mothers are not working! )
    I was fortunate to be able to be at home when my kids were young, although at times it would have been nice to have more people to chat with who were more than 3 feet tall... :) It helps to get involved with neighbors, mother/toddler groups, friends and family so you feel connected to the outside world still. When I did go back to work, I did so teaching preschool again, and my younger kids were able to be there with me. Once they were older, I went back to finish my degree and started teaching elementary school. I love it! It is a great profession when you have children. You are out of school when they are, you can have them at your school, the income won't get your rich... but if you are sensible it works (although I know quite a few teachers who do work second jobs to make ends meet). Yes, there are less stressful jobs, and jobs that pay a good deal more, but there is no other job that lets you have the family time while making a decent living. Obviously it helps tremendously if you love working with kids.
    If I had to do it over again, and was in your position... I would finish my degree first. Teaching works well with taking time off for children... you can take a year's leave if you want (not paid of course) and go back to your old position. Some teachers also do job shares where one teacher teaches the mornings and another the afternoons with the same class so that they have more time with their own children.
    Good luck with your decision... if you like children, I say go for it!
    RedneckMama Posts: 103, Reputation: 17

Jun 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Some of the Pros of staying home w/ the kids:
    --You get to be there for their 'firsts': first steps, first one to notice teeth coming in, first to let them try new foods, first to hear them talk...
    --You get to make the decisions about every aspect of their little life... what they watch, what they hear, what they eat, who they meet...
    --You are able to develop a very close bond with your kids.. they know you as a constant in their world, and are comforted by just your presence...

Some of the Cons of staying home with the kids:
    --You can lose a piece of your own individuality.. it's easy to do and it's gone before you even realize it... and then you got to fight hard to get it back...
    --Unless you straighten out the misconception early, you'll end up responsible for not only the kids, but also the house as "YOUR territory" only where you're expected to be and to be in charge of...
    --Unless you are involved with people outside of your home, outside of your kids... it's amazing how quickly the world keeps moving without you... there will be days when you forget how long it's been since the last time you had a shower...

... I think it's a wonderful idea to have those goals set up for yourself and be working toward whatever it is you're ambitious for... I personally would not settle for anything less than staying at home with my brood; no matter the financial risk... but it's definitely not for the faint of heart NO MATTER what road you take...
    ... Any mother, working or not, has been confronted at one time or another by the opinions of others when it came to whether she was working... and then probably covered in guilt no matter which one she chose...
    ... It may not turn out like you plan it; but it's always good to go in knowing the most you can... Of course, when you do work, scheduling is going to be one of the major issues you run into.. so I can only assume that being a teacher would work great once your kids reached school age... Maybe you could plan on being a SAHM until your little ones reach school age and then teach--thereby making yourself available at the same times they are on vacation, sounds like a great idea to me!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
    First I am not sure how you see being a teacher as staying at home with the kids?

Teachers have to be at school before it starts when buses start getting there, and teachers take turns in staying late, till all the kids are gone.
    Various teachers have to work over the summer, have required evenings to work at school events, at teachers meetings and more.

Teaching is a job, you have hours that you have to be at school and not a lot different than working at other professions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old is old enough to stay home alone? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my 7 year old son (1st grader)... occasionally my husband picks him up after school and then leaves him home alone for a couple of hours so he can go back to work to finish a job. He is a business owner and sometimes it's crucial he gets back to finish something. He...

Piecework at home/ Packaging work at home or crafts work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for a part time job as due to my GCSE I will have 3 months off after them, and I have heard of piecework which I am interested in, however I don't know what to serach for who to contact can someone help me out please as I would appreciate it. Could you please list a few manufacturers...

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Would you be a stay at home dad? [ 34 Answers ]

These days there are many women have the ability to earn more than there male counter parts. Would you be a stay at home dad? Why? And Why not?

Should I stay and try to work it out? [ 26 Answers ]

I have been married for 11 months. I was really looking forward to my one year anniversary. I just found out that my husband cheated on me with someone who was supposed to be my friend. We (the so- called friend and I) live in different states. My husband told me it started when he needed some...

View more questions Search