Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagleeye Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Can't access laptop on my home network.
    Hi,

I have three computers hooked up on a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz router all running windows XP Pro. Sp2.

They all connect to the Internet fine.

One computer has allowed me access to it normally.

But the other Computer I can see it on the network but I cannot access it.

All I am getting is the message:
    "You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found".

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled.
    In Windows Firewall under the Exceptions tab, Programs and Services:
    File and Printer Sharing is checked.
    Change Scope settings are:
    My network (subnet) only is selected

Please advise how to solve this.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 09:44 AM
    1. Verify all the computers are using the same file sharing model via My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > 'Use simple file sharing'.
    2. Also see local security policy under Control Panel > Administrative Tools for 'Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts'. Classic is probably what you want. Otherwise Guest account would need to be enabled and added to share permissions.
    3. Verify the sharing computer has a local user account identical to the one being used to access the share and the share permissions include that account as desired.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Lets assume that your computers are named ONE, TWO and THREE and that an Administrator user exists on each computer.

If the share is on computer TWO, you would add ONE\Administrator and THREE\Administrator to the share permissions and also to the local Users Group on TWO. Then, the two users would inherit the file permissions of the Users Group on TWO.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Check the workgroup name.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Chuck hit it dead on. You have to make sure that all users on all computers are listed as having access to the other computers.

Jun 29, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help but I'm still having problems.

I can access the workgroup but not my laptop from my PC.
    I can't access either the workgroup or my PC from my laptop.

I have added identical users with administrative rights to both computers(I only have 2 hooked up right now). I have added the administrators group to the share permissions for the folders that I'm sharing.

I'm now getting 2 different error messages. It depends which computer I'm on.

This message comes from my PC:
    "\\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

This message comes from my laptop:
    "workgroupname is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

Just to let you know, I can ping both computers from each other.

Although when I do a search for computers from my laptop if I search by name there are no results. But if I search by IP address it does find it but it says "In Folder" or workgroup is unknown.

Some of this might be confusing or useless info for you but I'm trying to give you all the info I possibly can.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jun 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
    If at all possible, try connecting all the computers via patch cable to your router. It could be an issue with your Wirelessly connected computers not seeing each other.

Alternatively, disable the Windows firewall on the wireless adapters on both computers. It may be the firewall that's preventing everything (trust me, that thing is a bigger pain than it is a help).
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 09:24 PM
    In the cmd prompt type "net view 127.0.0.1" on the computer that your having problems with. Make sure that the share is visible.

From a computer trying to access it type "Type \\ipaddress\share" where IP address is the address of the computer that your trying to access. You can also try connecting as a different user name.

From the tools menu select "Map Network Drive"

Type smb:\\ipaddress\share

Where IP address is the ip address of the computer your trying to access.

Jun 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twilcox
    If at all possible, try connecting all the computers via patch cable to your router. It could be an issue with your Wirelessly connected computers not seeing each other.

Alternatively, disable the Windows firewall on the wireless adapters on both computers. It may be the firewall that's preventing everything (trust me, that thing is a bigger pain than it is a help).
    Hey twilcox,

I tried everything you said and still nothing.

I mentioned earlier that I could ping both computers. Well that's partially true. I just noticed I only get results when I ping using the ip address and not the computer name.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jun 30, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    in the cmd prompt type "net view 127.0.0.1" on the computer that your having problems with. Make sure that the share is visable.

From a computer trying to access it type "Type \\ipaddress\share" where IP address is the address of the computer that your trying to access. You can also try connecting as a different user name.

From the tools menu select "Map Network Drive"

Type smb:\\ipaddress\share

Where IP address is the ip address of the computer your trying to access.
    Hey KISS,

When I type in net view 127.0.0.1 all shares are visible.

I tried typing in "Type \\ipaddress\1" where "1" is one of the shared folders. I think this is what you wanted me to do. Obviously "ipaddress" is the address of the computer that I'm trying to access.

The results from this are:
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I mentioned earlier that I could ping both computers. Well that's partially true. I just noticed I only get results when I ping using the ip address and not the computer name.

I know this shouldn't be this hard as I've set up many networks before on Windows NT and Windows 2000. I've never done it before with WindowsXP as this is but I can't imagine it being any different.

I believe this is a browsing issue. I ran into this a few years ago and fixed it but I don't remember how I did it.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
    That was syntax on my part.

From the command prompt on non-laptop type:

"net view \\laptopipaddress"; you should see the share visible.

Then try this:

Open "My documents"
    Go to tools menu.
    Select "Map Network Drive"

Type "smb:\\ipaddresslaptop\sharename"

Fill in the ip address and the sharename.

FYI:
    Without a WINS server, it can take up to 45 minutes for a computer name to be visible, but I would like to establish connectivity in a different way first.

Jul 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Hey KISS,

When I type "net view \\laptopipaddress" on my desktop I get this error message:
    System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found.

I get this same message when my laptop is wireless or wired.

When I type "net view \\desktopipaddress" on my laptop I get this error message:
    System error 5 has occurred.
    Access is denied.

As far as mapping a newwork drive, that doesn't work either.

I downloaded some stuff from Microsoft's website yesterday but haven't had a chance
    To try it yet. If I ever do get this to work I definitely will let you know.

In the mean time I will certainly take all the help you are willing to give me as I appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jul 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Have you enabled file and printer sharing on your laptop? This could explain why the desktop can't see the laptop.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
    System Errors

You probably have to enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

Jul 4, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Hey Guys,

Back again. Happy Independence Day!

Yes, I have enabled netbios over tcp/ip and file and printer sharing on both desktop and laptop.

Still no dice.

Are we having fun yet?

I'm going to try and hook-up another desktop to this network and see what happens.
    Problem is I have to fix the PC first before I can connect it.

Thanks again,
    Jeff
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2008, 10:19 AM
    You'll have to go to the computer you want to access and enable some shares, right click on the folder you want to share and click on "Sharing and Security"
    VWGURU Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 11:45 AM
    I had linksys problems and the online chat through linsys website was quick and easy had my network running in less than 20 minutes. For free
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
    As has already been mentioned, make sure that all of the computers are part of the same Workgroup name.

Second, as far as browsing by name goes, each computer must be enabled for NetBIOS in the TCP/IP configurations. It is not likely that your DHCP server is going to properly handle NetBIOS configurations since you do not have Dynamic DNS or a WINS server. Thus the default settings for using the DHCP setting will not work for you.

Go to your LAN Adapter configuration and select the TCP/IP Properties. Then go the Advanced tab and select the WINS configuration. At the bottom, select Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP. This will enable your Workgroup Browsing so that the computer names will be recognized with the IP address.

Lastly, in order for a computer to be able to access a share on another computer, Share Permissions must be granted as well as File Permissions. It is best to allow Full Control for Everyone in the Share Permissions and control access to files and folders with File Security. This also must be granted to the user accounts or groups or they will only be able to access the share but none of the contents.
    yourcomputerguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:30 PM
    I would do this on each computer:

Start > run > "gpedit.msc" (no quotes)

Navigate to Local computer policy > computer configuration > windows settings > security settings > local policies > user rights assignment.

Then, on the right side, open up "access this computer from the network".

If you're OK with the general security of your internal private network, add "everyone", "anonymous", and any accounts you added for the other machines...

Also, in the same screen, look at "DENY access to this computer from the network" and remove anything in there

Also, under "security options" (just below 'user rights assignment'), look for "network access: let everyone permission apply to anonymous users". Set this to ENABLED.

Note that these settings mentioned here do NOT take priority over "deny" type file/share permissions... those are still valid... this above allows the initial connection to happen.
    junebug48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Try Network Magic, it worked great for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network access [ 2 Answers ]

\\ip address is not be accessible You might have no permisson use network resource.

Network Access [ 2 Answers ]

When I connect to another computer by using IP address as(e.g) \\10.10.10.10 I get error message that Workgroup is not accessible, you might not have permission. Haw can I solve this problem ?

Home network access [ 1 Answers ]

I have two computers set up in my house. When I set up a home network, Ican;t access the other computer - although it can access mine. The error message is: " computer is not accessible. You might not have permission. See your network administrator." I don't understand.:confused:

Network Access Issue [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for suggestions here. I have a home network that includes two desktops and two laptops all running XP of various flavors. I also have to NAS storage devices, one that uses special software and one that does not. The desktops and NAS devices connect to an 8-port switch which then connects to...

How do I connect a Laptop on a domain to my home network? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a laptop running Win2k on a domain, supplied to me by my company. It uses a VPN to connect to my corporate network. I am able to connect to my wireless router and get to the internet and VPN, but I am unable to access shared resources (folders & printers) on any of the locally WORKGROUP...

View more questions Search