Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khaag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Reason heater may shut off in cold temps
    In early December while we were on vacation our heater shut off and subsequently pipes froze causing water damage. What are some reasons the furnace would stop working?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 08:32 AM
    More than we can count on our fingers and toes.

The easy thing to check: Look for any burnt wires. If you find them, replace them and see if that solves the problem.

Also, try your thermostat settings:
    Will it run on fan only?
    Does the A/C work (if you have it)?

If it's gas, do you have a pilot... and if so, is it lit?

What kind of system do you have?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 08:36 AM
    If you didn't find and fix any problems with the furnace, I would look at a flaky control board or thermostat. Depending on how old it is, there are a number of things that can go wrong, pilot light out, fuse blown in the transformer circuit, bad temperature sensor, blower problems, etc. None of those will go away itself.

I would keep an eye on it. An intermittent problem is likely to come back. You are unlikely to get frozen pipes the balance of this heating season or early the next. It would be cheaper to replace some of the likely parts including the circuit board, temperature sensors, and the ignitor before leaving the house empty in severe weather again. I would give things as much chance to go bad as I could, before throwing parts at it.
    khaag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Thanks. The furnace has been started again and seems to be working now. Was wondering if condensation could have built up or other circumstances could have caused it to go out when the temp got so cold. Again thanks for the feedback.
    ridgid002 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2006, 09:19 PM
    If it is a 90+gas furnace condensation may have been an issue if your condensate pump is wired into your thermostat lines and the line froze it may have shut it off... without knowing your fuel type oil/gas/etc its hard to throw u some suggestions because there are so many if ud like more info tell us the specifics of your system and ill throw u some suggestions or things to keep an eye on

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater Blowing Cold Air [ 5 Answers ]

Our Central Heating System has been on the "fritz" lately. It will work for a few hours, sometimes days kicking on and off like nomral then it will suddenly stop blowing warm air. The air is usually VERY cold, but its set on heat. There is a red light that usually starts flashing "em heat", we...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Is there a reason that I am still single? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi... I am 31 years old! I am divorced with one child. I have been divorced for 6 years. I was in a relationship 2 months after my divorce for approximately 3 years! Needless to say... the last year of our relationship... he cheated! He is now married to this gal and has a child! I truly...

Is it possible to have liquid water at temps above 100 degrees Celsius [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering is it possible and if so how to have liquid water at temperatures above 100 degrees Celsius??

View more questions Search