Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Telemarketers - that was easy.
    I got a call today from a telemarketer and he said that "My phone number was randomly selected and I won a free shopping spree and gas. I for get the amounts.

I said "I don't believe you"

He said "OK" and hung up

That was easy.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Before I could finish saying "sorry, I'm not interested" a telemarketer recently hung up on me! He must have been having a bad day.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Actually, being retired, I have them hang up on me all the time. I ask where they are calling from, how the weather is, how their weekend was, Who they like for president, have they ever been on a cruise, how was it, where did they go, etc. etc. They always hang up on me, rude people.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Aw gee, they hang up on my son also. He pretends he's an 80 year old man who's wife went to the store for a quart of milk and didn't come home and you sure sound nice honey what's you're name... and he goes on and on and on and on until they hang up on him. There sure are a lot of rude people out there who don't want to talk to some nice 80 year old man who's lonely.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I know that your life must suck big time if you are a telemarketer. I mean who would do this job unless it was absolutely the only thing you could get ? I know too that taking their time and wasting it isn't right. But it's so much fun!! One in a while I will pull the hard of hearing geezer. Rain? What rain? It isn't raining here ! Who said it rained? etc. That gets another hang up.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jun 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
    I cannot say that I adore telemarketers, I have also hung up on a few who were insufferably insitent, however, let's remember that telemarketers are also working hard for whatever $$$$ they get which is not much... besides getting all the vocalized anger from the frustrated general public... specially during these hard times

Telemarketers also have families, children, homes, bills to pay, worries, just like the rest of us, sooooooooo...

A bit of kindness while saying NO goes a long way.

;-)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    I cannot say that I adore telemarketers, I have also hung up on a few who were insufferably insitent, however, let's remeber that telemarketers are also working hard for whatever $$$$ they get which is not much..... besides getting all the vocalized anger from the frustrated general public ....specially during these hard times

Telemarketers also have families, children, homes, bills to pay, worries, just like the rest of us, sooooooooo.....

A bit of kindness while saying NO goes a long way.

;-)
    Some make good money. I did it in high school and was making more money than my mom at the time. Now given she was just a CNA, but still, it was good money for a high schooler.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jun 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Some make good money. I did it in high school and was making more money than my mom at the time. Now given she was just a CNA, but still, it was good money for a high schooler.

Perhaps in other states telemarketers make decent money, however such is not the case in FLA.

;-)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Now for the recorded messages, I place the telephone in front of the radio and walk away.
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    Perhaps in other states telemarketers make decent money, however such is not the case in FLA.

;-)
    Sorry, not true... that's where I was living... It just depends on where you are working...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
    My ultimate favorite is the robots calling up. Gee, I can't get a word in edgewise with those suckers. Dang, dang and double dang on them. Phooey. There're no fun.

Oh I did solve the telemarketer problem though. I have a dial up connection that is ALWAYS on so if you are trying to reach me you're out of luck. I do know, however, when my connection goes off as the telephone will inevitably ring (irregardless of the time of day I might add also) with a nice telemarketer telling me that I have won a zillion dollars if I just agree to preview the National Geographic's new video that I don't want. Wasn't that nice of them to tell me my conneciton went down?
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
    They usually call around weird hours because they are calling from a different time zone...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Nothing like an excited 4 year old who wants to talk about his new star wars transformer for these folks.

I generally try to be civil, but if you call me on the weekend or call me during dinner you are pushing my patience. More than happy to string you along, go to the bathroom, flush the toilet (phone in hand), and then pass you on to the little big mister of the house.

I don't feel bad one bit about wasting 20 minutes of someone's time. Mail me a letter... ill read it. I will call if interested. But don't stop me in the middle of my evening, with the few hours my family has together, to stump your product.
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I am pretty nice to them... if they are rudely persistent then I hang up.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I am pretty nice to them...if they are rudely persistant then I hang up.
    That's because you are a kinder soul than me.

Honestly... if you call at any other time other than the weekend or dinner (and I know there are time zone differences but that their problem, not mine) I will usually politely say "thank you im not interested" or "we dont take calls like this"...

.. if they keep up the banter, that's when I get ticked. I don't like to be forced to hang up on someone, and if they end with a "thank you" all is well... if they keep pushing the product, civility is gone.

I have a good friend who makes decent money doing telemarketing as one of two jobs. Id like to think if she ever called me up we'd both be civil and part ways without incident.

On the other side... I wonder if its like the guy who is fearless in the bar, asking every woman he sees back to his place... how many "no's" does it take to cancel out the one "yes" that makes his night?

My 4 year old is going to be Just Like That... willing to hear 99 no's to get to that one yes. He is cute, fearless, and can work the room. I swear he already has his HS prom dates lined up three deep. Seriously.

So maybe more power to those who can muscle through the noise of people like me.
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    You can ask to be added to their "Do not call list", which by the way they throw out every six months, so those calls will never really stop. Don't blame them though, because your phone company is the one that sold them your phone number.

No is just a stepping stone to "YES"...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't get Over my ex, although it seems so easy for him. [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, well I was in a relationship for about three years, he was my high school sweetheart... the first 5 months he cheated on me and had sex with two girls.. he told me.. and I broke up with him but he kept telling me that he will change, that it was a mistake.. and I took him...

How can it be so easy for her? [ 19 Answers ]

A month ago I couldve sworn she was head over heals for me.. 2 weeks ago when she wanted a break it was a shock to me.. and now one week ago that she's simply left me her friends tell me how she's going to ibiza in a couple of weeks and she's having the time of her life.. and that she told them...

How to deal with telemarketers [ 1 Answers ]

I just StumbledUpon this and thought it was very funny. You'll need your speakers turned on. Enjoy! warning. dongs. :p

How to let him down easy [ 11 Answers ]

I haven't been with this guy long however, he was a virgin until he met me. He's 21 but has never had a girl friend and it kills me that I have to do this to him. We were acquantinces before this but I don't know if we'll be friends after this. The reason I want to leave him is because he smothers...

View more questions Search