Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boredfroggie Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
    First time buyer
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what good brands of microwaves there are. I don't want to purchase one and then have it break on me a few months later.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 04:48 AM
    Microwave technology is pretty good across the board. We buy lots of them for apartments, and frankly we just stick with a name brand and go with what's on sale. We've got plenty of the cheapies running after 10 years.

One tip, though, that can save you $50-$100: The bells and whistles, the zillion different setting options, etc.) will cost you. Buy based on the size you need and the features that you know you will use.

Ok, another tip: If you're going to spend more than $200 on one, I'd narrow it down to 2 or 3 then come back home and Google like this, using the model numbers:
    "kenmore 4123" AND reviews
    "amana 4567" AND reviews

And
    compare AND "kenmore 4123" AND "amana 4567"

Hope this helps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Hi,
    Look at the microwave specs; usually located on the box itself. Or, look inside the door panel. I like at least a 900 watt, which is, of course, more power. It will heat faster, boil water faster, etc, than one with less wattage.
    I can suggest one I use, have had it for years... a Sharp Carousel (has a turning table to sit stuff on) from Walmart or other larger department store.
    boredfroggie Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Thanks for the help
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Mar 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
    My advice is to stay away from Panasonic and some Whirlpool units. Panasonic has decided to consolidate 3 of the 4 cook circuit parts into one board. In other microwaves, the $25 capacitor or the $15 diode can be replaced by themselves. In Panasonic's "Inverter" system, there are only two parts, usually costing more than $150 to replace (EACH!). Whirlpool has even started using this technology in some of their over-the-range units. As you can tell, one failure in these units and you might as well throw it away. Not bad if you paid less than $150 for the unit to begin with, but some of these units retail for over $450. Some of my customers exhibit fairly serious opinions on the subject, but by that time, it's too late. Otherwise, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Most other microwaves have all the same components in them, so you run the same risk of failure with any one of them. Good luck, and let me know if you have questions about something you find.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2006, 08:06 AM
    HI, boredfroggy,
    Love your ID name!
    You are quite welcome for the help.
    Please take note of the answer right before this one; it's good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Run time [ 1 Answers ]

I keep getting this "a run time error has occured, do you want to debug?" If I click no, nothing is resolved. If I click yes, I get a blank windo that says "ready" but nothing happens. How did I get this and what do I do about it? Thanks. H*

1st time buyer questions.. [ 5 Answers ]

I am just about to have my home inspected before the closing happens.. 1... I noticed that the hot water heater is made by a company that went out of business 10-15 years ago and the condition of the heaters effectiveness is in question... not to sound cheap, but do I have the right to have the...

Sold motorcycle, got cash, buyer won't pick up bike? [ 5 Answers ]

Two days ago on the 12th a man responded to an ad we had in the local paper about a motorcycle we owned and were selling. He came by w/ his girlfriend and after about 30 minutes of discussion between the two of them, ultimately bought the bike. He did not want to ride it prior to buying it...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search